Available IP's ???

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Greebo, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Greebo

Greebo Byte Poster

The School where I work has been set up with static IP addresses. How can you find out how many addresses (and which ones) are still available in a particular range?

:roll:

2. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi Greebo

What Class are they and what subnet are you using :?:

From that we can work out the total number available only you can tell what ones are available (a ping to the broadcast address will get a response from those used). I use a Spreadsheet to list all my IP addys and what /where / why/ who has them.

3. Greebo

Greebo Byte Poster

Eeek :roll: Um
    Not sure mate. not sure what class they are, subnet is 255.255.252.

4. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Like sandy says, using a spreadsheet (once you have your IP address range mapped) is a very good idea. Its what i use here....

Are you the sole technician? is there a network manager you can ask?

Bring up the IP address of a few of the machines (locally maybe in different physical areas) and let us know what they are, maybe we can work something out from there....

:)

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  5. Greebo

Greebo Byte Poster

The Network Manager went off sick after my first week there :wink: Didn't think I was that bad to work with :lol:

I have support staff in to help me occasionally but thought you lot might know a way to find out :) coz he hasn't been back since :lol:

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Greebo

Greebo Byte Poster

I know it sounds daft but I just wanna know how many IP addy's I have and what they are so that I can assign new ones :cry: without duplicating and having to guess :roll:

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Arrrgh !!!! Now I remember why I never get my head down and learn subnetting :aaah

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

On a basic level thats nearly a class c address I would guess, which would give you 252 addresses or thereabouts, with the extra 2 bits gained from CIDR that would give about 1023 if they were all on the same subnet.

That was off the top of my head, so looks like you will have lot of ip addresses to play with!

OK experts, shoot me down.... :gun

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Oops. I misunderstood the question. I did a temp gig at a place that had static IPs for 300+ users. It was the craziest thing I ever saw. They had the subnets for each division written down but the only way you could tell (maybe) which IP address was in use was to ping it. If you didn't get a response during normal business hours, you assumed that the address was not in use. Not perfect, but about the easiest tool they had.

On the other hand, you could try LANsurveyor. Just a thought.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi Greebo

Righty we got 1/2 an answer there we got the subnet now we need the first three numbers in the first octet, e.g. 192.XXX.XXX.XXX

12. Greebo

Greebo Byte Poster

I said earlier I think :roll:
    Subnet mask = 255.255.252.0

13. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Yip that is the subnet net mask not the IP addy

I need the Class of address two work out the number of hosts on the network. :P

14. Greebo

Greebo Byte Poster

:oops: :cry: Sorry...............176 :wink:

15. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

176 is a public Class B address

255.255.252.0 = c. 1000 hosts on the network

IMHO WAY to many.