AV or not

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by law123, Feb 19, 2006.

1. law123

law123 Byte Poster

This is probably a stupid question.
    If I setup a operating system in VMWare do I need to use Norton AV and firewall on the system in VMWare please be gentle I have never used this bfore so I am a total newbie to VMWare.
    :newbie

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

law,

Of course you do. An OS in vmware works just the same, and has the same vulnerabilities as the same OS installed in the normal way. Vmware just allows you to create multiple OS's using one installation rather than creating a multiple boot pc.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

if you feel you need one why not? im always reinstalling mine so i dont even bother... just have good old nod32 on my host and that keeps me safe! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Doesn't it depend on how you have the VM communicating with the host and the outside world?

For instance if the VM only talks to the host and no further then there would be no need for it, right? :rolleyes:

5. law123

law123 Byte Poster

:beers2 Cheers guys I thought so but thought I would confirm it. As evey time I install Norton it asks me to activate it. So after about 5 times it will not activate any more and I have to phone Norton and I get the questions. Have you installed this on multiple P.C.s as it is sold for use on one machine. I have to tell a lie as I have it already installed on my other 2 P.C.s as I am not and never will be willing to shed out for the same software three times. Is there anyway of bypassing the activation part. I have the original software so this is not some sort of way asking anyone to help me breach copyright. I can even scan a copy of my reciept if anyone is in doubt about that. I am just fed up with activation.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

You're correct. My assumption was that the virtual host would be used in exactly the same fashion as the host itself, and if the virtual hosts are MS products they would need AV and malware protection.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Isn't the host acting as a gateway for any clients, and therefore can we not assume that the host would filter any malicious content ?

NB: I know I am going to get slaughtered for asking, as I can see where the flaw is in my logic, but just can't get the brain up to speed to work it out. So the humiliation will hopefully be worth the anticipated good explanation from one of you VM heavyweights :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Law, if you don't want to keep activiating Noton then just install it on one VM and keep that installation fresh and clean to act as a template for a series of clones. I do this so I don't have to update and activate Windows every time I want to start a new test machine. Also, creating linked clones saves on disc space on the host machine as well.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I guess it depends on where the malicious content is coming from. Typical viruses are usually transfered via email, hence if you don't use your VMs for checking email, they are safe from those threats. On the other hand, if you use your VMs to surf the net, you could potentially pick up malware that would not be filtered by your hosts settings.

This is just my ponderings, it is not based on fact as I don't use VMware much these days. I have enough real boxes to play with :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

That's assuming you have a firewall somewhere. Question: Will a software firewall on the host machine protect the VMs? I'm thinking not?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270