Asus A7V-E Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by legacy2k, Apr 16, 2008.

1. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Ok, if you don't even get the "invalid system disk" message when the blank hdd is the bootable drive, I would say that the bios hasn't finished loading or is failing at the hand off point. Not sure how to resolve that as never come across it before :rolleyes:

Are you sure that the CPU is compatible with your motherboard? Will a bios update solve the problem?

Have you tried Asus's forum, I found it very useful when I had a Asus board that was giving me problems?

If you do resolve this issue legacy be sure to post it here as would be interested to hear what the solution and/or problem was.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Does that CD boot on any other machine? I see that it is a copy, and sometimes if they aren't copied correctly then the CD won't boot.

Another things to try is test the CD works at all. Fit a floppy, iof it doesn't have one, and boot with a Win98SE boot disk. Then do a dir of the CD. This will at least test that the hardware is probably OK.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. TimoftheC

Had a look on the Asus site AD (had some time to kill) and I don't think the xp 2600+ processor works with that motherboard. It only seems to support up to a Athlon 1400 (200 MHz FSB).

The spec sheet is here: - http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

4. hbroomhall

Thinking about this further I see that you don't seem to get the message about ECSD which you normally get just before the boot.

So I'd agree with TimofthC that there is a problem in the BIOS somewhere. Normally the next thing I'd try is a 'postcard' to try and determine just where it is hanging.

Harry.

5. TimoftheC

Hi Harry - when you say "postcard" are you referring to one of those plug-in boards with lots of pretty lights that give out an error code if the bios fails? Do you own one and if so, how useful do you find it?

6. hbroomhall

Yes - I own two of them - one ISA and one PCI.

Basicaly - when the BIOS boots it writes byte values to a port - but on a normal PC this port is fresh air! The postcard implements this port, and displays the value on a couple of 7 segment displays.

When the BIOS hangs the last value shown tells you where the BIOS is in the boot sequence.

I have found such cards *very* useful. But I have to say that the most common use I put it to is to see if the processor is starting, rather than where the BIOS is jamming.

Harry.

7. legacy2k

legacy2k Bit Poster

yea the CD works as i tryed it on my other pc

i might try a bios update

surely if the CPU wasn't compatable then it just wouldn't work at all???

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Okay, you've tried taking out a couple of components but haow about taking out all of them including the cpu and graphics card. When you start then, you should get the bios beeps telling you what is missing etc. Start replacing the components one by one (maybe graphics first).

Also, where did the board come from and was it working then? If so, what has changed since?

Just checked you link to the ASUS site and I think you might be right. The motherboard doesn't seem to support such a 'late model' cpu. You could try a bios update but......:rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. Ripster

Ripster New Member

hi there, not sure if you have found a solution to you problem yet, but heres 1, i had the same prob when i tried putting in a 1800+, would not boot off NOTHING, so i put my 900 back in and wala, ive read that it does not take more then 1GHZ chips, thoe ive got my 1800 to come up as 1250MHZ, but it wont boot, so let me know if you guys no a solution for that.

Thanx
    Cory

10. Ripster

Ripster New Member

hi there, not sure if you have found a solution to you problem yet, but heres 1, i had the same prob when i tried putting in a 1800+, would not boot off NOTHING, so i put my 900 back in and wala, ive read that it does not take more then 1GHZ chips, thoe ive got my 1800 to come up as 1250MHZ, but it wont boot, so let me know if you guys no a solution for that.

Thanx
    Cory:biggrin