Asking for a Raise

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mcrilly, Jun 25, 2011.

1. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Greenwood its called where.I work mate. Kind of an industrial estate in runcorn but its a smart office with secure parking so no complaint here.

Google itjobswatch mate. It has a salary checker. I'd of pasted the link but I'm on my phone. It goes off.jobs advertised over x amount of.time

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  2. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

best way to get a payrise is to move jobs in my experience. Me and the wife were just talking about it the other day. She now works where she initially started straight out of uni but has jumped around a lot in between. She is getting paid about 20k more then other people that she knows that have just stayed there and got there annual salary increases.

Having said that non monetary benefits come into it a lot as well. My current role is only averagely paid but I get a car park, its close to home, we have wii in the office (regularly pwn the CIO in tennis which may be a career limiting move), flexitime and really nice people. These intangible benefits are probably worth about 10k to me making my role worth a lot more to me then just the salary figure.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's
  3. mcrilly

mcrilly Byte Poster

Nice one mate I will check that website out. I've never heard of Greenwood, but I'm guessing it has trees and hence is green? :P

That's certainly one way of looking at. Moving job is indeed on the agenda later on in my life as me and the girlfriend want to shift down south anyway, because her entire family are down there - she will be alone up here when her parents move to Guilford to be closer to their grand children.

When the time comes to move (I would say about three to four, maybe five years from now) I should have some good experience, certifications and skills so seeking more money shouldn't be an issue.

Haha! Loving the Wii in the office, but not loving the CIO thrashings; could be dangerous ;-)

That is another thing I have to consider as well - the benefits of my current role. I also have a form of flexi-time here, although it isn't close to home (about 20 miles away), and the job is very comfortable and educationally lucrative. That could be worth a good tonne in its own right.

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, RHCE, & VCP