Are your certs linked to wages/bonus?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Dec 15, 2009.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Every company I've worked for whilst my certs have certainly helped me get the job when I get the job the companies have never given a toss to push me to do more certs.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

You'll probably find that there are a lot of people in different scenarios, dependant upon the company they're working for/training budgets etc etc.

Personally though, my carrot on a stick is that if I get MCSE by April then I'll get a payrise. But then again that's entirely down to my situation. When I originally took the job I was told that they wanted to employ someone who wasn't MCSE, but was working towards it, so they could mould the individual and make them understand the infrastructure better. Plus because the company is ultimately owned by venture capitalists, and it gets 'resold' every 4 years or so, this is when my boss will move upward, leaving me to fill his position.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. funnybones

funnybones Bit Poster

The company I work for have told me if I get the CCNA exam they will move me into a field based role. I am at the moment driving a desk.

I have also been promised more money but I doubt it will happen in this climate and I have told them I am happy to have them sponsor the CCNA course. They have given me £600 towards the cost of a course.

So I have been looking around for a training company in the south east.

Sticks and carrots, sticks first, then carrots........

Certifications: N+ MCSE CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I've been in my current job for around 2 and a half years, and I started with A+, N+ and a couple of MCP's.

Now I have my MCSA, MCSE and VCP3.5 (VCP 4.0 if I pass the VCP410 tommorow), but I've got no pay rise other than the base % that everyone gets.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  5. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

As mentioned by others, my company doesn't care for certifications. I get rewarded for the doing the work that I'm mandated to do. If I need a course - fine; if that course leads to a cert - fine.