Application form help please

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Karismah, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Karismah

Karismah Bit Poster

Hello guys,

I'm filling in an application form and it asks me to give an example and details about my experiences using online support sites and forums.

This may sound like a no-brainer, but do they mean using a website such as this or do the terms "online support sites and forums" refer to something else I'm not aware of? I don't see why they would ask me if I got experience using similar sites and forums because anyone with internet access and the ability to type (and use google!) can use the sites... am I missing something?

Unless they want me to prove that I'm a very active community member, but even then, it's got nothing to do with the role... which is for IT support assistant.

Please help. My application deadline is tomorrow and it looks like I'll be doing an all-nighter tonight! :ohmy

Regards,

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+, Network+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you already answered it in my opinion, you could tell them your a member of CF too saying what the sites about and how its a great community.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Perhaps list vendor support sites (e.g Dell) where you can put service tags in to get drivers etc. Maybe list google groups as well? Fire in an error message and usually someone has had the same problem! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There are forums like these... but there are also vendor-specific forums, such as those provided by Microsoft, Cisco, Dell, and others.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Karismah

Karismah Bit Poster

Thanks guys. I'll know what to put now...

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+, Network+
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

They are asking you if you know where and how to look for answers. If you're familiar with some of the larger corporate support sites then it's easier and quicker to find answers. If you're a member of forums like CF then you also have a network of professionals to ask for support.

I'd say that it's a perfectly legitimate question for the position of IT Assistant.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Indo77

Indo77 Nibble Poster

I would be lost at times without the help of online communities. As a developer I continually run into issues - Google has assisted me with many a problem. I think basically they are testing to see if you can work on your own iniative and troubleshoot problems without relying on a line manager or another technical member of staff concerning every issue that appears. Be careful with this though, I am not saying it's wrong to ask someone else's opinion at work, if you believe they have a grasp of the problem and it would save time. At the end of the day, we all work as teams, although it helps to be able to use online communities if specific problems can be googled. I am only speaking as a coder though.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) HNC