Apple, Google, IBM plus more dropping the requirements for a degree

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Aug 21, 2018.

1. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Interesting read from CNBC here https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/16/15-...quire-employees-to-have-a-college-degree.html

I have a degree and must admit, Ive never been asked about it in a single interview, although I don't doubt it's helped my CV to avoid being binned on occasion as a way for recruiters to reduce the number of applicants.

What do you think? I think experience is King BUT that industry certification is very useful and more relevant as they are more likely to teach you real world skills, and less theory based on My experience with my Computer Science degree.

My comments are perhaps more suited to IT as Id want my surgeon to have a degree or two that's for sure!

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    drum_dude likes this.
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yes I made this point some time ago, employers are now more interested in employees skills than bits of paper, that includes degrees and certifications.

Neither system delivers anymore, employers find there are useless metrics for talent.

drum_dude likes this.
  3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Very true.

I've found that certifications have been good for personal development, as in for a proper laid out "curriculum" when learning new things or upgrading existing skills. However, no employer/client has ever asked to see my MS transcript as a requirement for the interview stage or job/contract role.

I was contacted about a gig at NATO not so long back but it was a no go. Apparently, NATO is "degree only" at all levels? I wonder if that includes the toilet cleaners?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. JK2447

My current role required current and past VMware VCP, pref VCAP as well as experience so I very much believe in the value of IT certification personally on my own little journey. Earlier on I was asked about my Microsoft certifications for Desktop and Server positions but not anymore. I think some certifications have held their value while others haven't, and I think the reason for this is how easy the exams are to cheat on which produces idiots who devalue the certification, but there's still a fair few out there where you can't cheat on, where questions and practical work are required.

All degree at NATO - Not for contractors as I know one who hasn't got a degree doing infrastructure related work. Crazy if permies all need one ha ha

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    drum_dude likes this.
  5. drum_dude

OK...perhaps it was code for "you're sh1t, they're not interested" :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  6. JK2447

ha ha ha oh i doubt that mate, maybe its so big there's multiple departments etc I'm sure you're the bee's knees buddy

drum_dude likes this.
  7. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

I can't say my degree was easy to get or isn't an achievement or whatever but over 10 years later... I can't see why it would be a requirement in IT. For better roles you need experience and more experience you have the less relevant the degree is (and the more you forgot the curriculum). Nice to have, yes.

Does make sense in some professions I guess.

8. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Too many people qualifying with a degree these days – not what it used to be :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    drum_dude likes this.
  9. drum_dude

I left halfway through mine. I got so disillusioned with course that I ended up moonlighting as drum tutor at a local private school. Then the headmaster offered me a full-time job as the IT Technician, which I took. I quit the degree course (IT Degree) around the middle of the 2nd year. People I knew on that course and remained in touch with, graduated but never got jobs in IT? Many became estate agents, recruitment consultants and car sales people???

10. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I don't know how useful a degree is when working in IT support tbh, probably worth something in the programming world though.