Appearance...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Nailbomb, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Nailbomb

Nailbomb Bit Poster

Wow, that was a whole load of replies right there.

Just a few points:

A fat man in a gym advert could be a very clever selling point. Think about it. A lot of people are intimidated by gyms because they feel they don't fit into the the 'ideal' etc.

Also, a penguin for advertising the carribean, great idea! Using good CGI, it would be cheap and to the point. Being, if you're sick of the cold etc, come to the Carribean!

I would also like to point out that I did say I would be willing to dress smartly, shirt, tie, trousers suit jacket and shoes. I'd leave my leathers and torn jeans at home thankyou. It's just a lot of people are talking about what they would like to 'wear' to work. I was originally talking about my hair and piercings, not dressing as a drag queen etc.

I would also like to say "HELL YEAH FERGAL!" I do agree with him completely. Although, from reading your replies i'm pretty sure i will end up conforming, doesn't mean I have to like it.

I'll tell you why I dress the way I do... Because I look damn sexy! Before, I became comfortable with my image, I didn't get much in the way of , erm 'release' lol. I dress the way I do, because people have certain expectations of me. I'm in a band, I play guitar and sing. http://www.myspace.com/inkarmy

And I hate to say it, but yes I hate authority. I think I would like to hear one of the more politically correct of y'all, define normal for me. How would you define normal? If it's definition is one concerning the values of society, one must remember that society is an ever changing thing that is constantly being manipulated by the media, marketing and other things of such a nature. These being typically controlled by the 'Fat Cats' that fergal spoke of.

Anyway, I could go on forever, but I wont. Thanks for all your advice.

Certifications: none yet :-{
    WIP: C.I.W. website design manager
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Nailbomb,

I don't agree that societies norms are set by the media, etc.... There have always been societal norms for appearance in every society that has ever existed, including those that have no central authority figure and having no commercial or industrial parts to their societies. It's human nature 101.

There have always been those who hate any kind of authority, see societal norms as a form of authority, and thus reject them outright. You're a part of that group, and it's also a part of human nature.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. Nailbomb

Nailbomb Bit Poster

Cool!

4. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

but it does make it harder to get a good well paid job *G*

the market for fang wearing besuited consultants is limited :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  5. Nailbomb

Nailbomb Bit Poster

I think you have become confused, as I don't wear fangs man.

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Nailbomb...it's all a matter of probabilities, regardless of your choices and beliefs. You can adjust your appearence anyway you want but in the end, someone else is going to make a decision about hiring you based in part on what you look like.

I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is. You can say it's unfair, biased, not right, immoral, etc...but that won't make any difference. Unless you are being hired to to IT work for a club or other outfit that specifically embraces your style of dress, piercings, and lifestyle, your chances of getting a job are limited.

You have the right to make choices about your appearence but just because it's your right doesn't mean someone else *has* to hire you.

As an aside, I clicked on the link you provided. Maybe I just had too much coffee this morning and my stomach is feeling acidy, but I did feel it roll a time or two as I looked at the graphics of exposed (simulated I suppose) internal organs, blood, zombies, etc...

It's images like those that a prospective employer will think about when they see your style of hair and facial piercings. Like it or not, they'll make a judgment call as to whether you'll fit in their organization or not...regardless of whether you can actually do the job. Part of hiring the right person isn't just hiring them because they possess the correct skill sets...you also hire someone because they'll fit in with the rest of your business culture and be able to get along with the others on the team.

Sorry if I seem harsh. Again, you certainly have the right to dress and appear any way you want and you have the right to post what you want on the Internet. None of that means that you can compel someone else to accept your choices.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Nailbomb

Nailbomb Bit Poster

As I have previously stated,

I understand what you are all saying and will take it into consideration, I am not arguing with any of you!

As for the link, it was mainly so you could hear the band, as it has live streaming mp3's on there. Although doubt it's your cup'o tea.

8. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

yeah, that was feargal... sorry...

same goes for the dreads tho... :D

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Oops. Sorry. Had my speakers muted. :oops:

10. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

as an aside..

would you let this guy turn up dressed and looking like this to play in your band ?

[​IMG]

or is the image not right? Or are you discriminating?

Just food for thought...

11. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Good point, imagine if you wanted to go to a death metal/hardcore rap/*extreme non conformist whatever*gig that started so early you didn't have a chance to change into your 'civvies' and had to go suited and booted. I can imagine scenes in the moshpit getting quite ugly :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  12. Nailbomb

Nailbomb Bit Poster

err,

don't know really, think it would be quite funny to turn up wearing
    a suit. I used to know a guy called duncan who wore a suit, he was in the RCG (Revolutionary Communist Party) with me back in the day, he had bright green spicky hair and a red armband.

He used to play drums in a band dressed like that! Also, If I did have fangs like fergal, I could go for the sophisticated vampire/lucifer look. More to the point, no I don't think you'd get discriminated against. Most people in the 'alternative'(god I hate that phrase) scene are a lot more open minded than the corporate one it would seem.

13. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

What if he didn't have green spikey hair and an armband?

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Uh...does this *really* have to do with the original question or are we splitting hairs now?

15. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

My point Trip was that his friend had 'green spikey hair' so woul've fitted right in.. especially as
    My point was;- had he not had
    would he have been treated the same in the moshpit?

Would you go to a death metal concert in your suit? If you did what reception would you expect?

To get back on topic- no forget interviewing for an office job if you've got green hair and bits of metal protruding through your face. Unless you've got incredibly outstanding ability forget it.

We all conform to feed our families why should you be any different?

16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Ok. Just a reminder to everyone participating in this thread. Debate is good. Personalizing conflict isn't. We can disagree and still be mates. Ok? :)

17. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Hope you don't get insulted, Nailbomb, but I just had to point something out here. You say that society having norms for people to follow or they won't be accepted is a bad thing--discrimination, yet, in what I quoted above from your post, you have had to fit a certain image to find acceptance in your group. To get the girls, to fit into the image expected of you in your role, you had to conform your appearance....

I find it very ironic that this form of authority is OK to you, but the authority of societal norms as a whole is something you hate. Your group discriminates just as much as society as a whole does. Your words describing your experience are the proof.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I played in bands for over twenty years but I never found the need to sport dreadlocks. Are you a Marley fan? :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  19. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

this one time, in bandcamp.... :biggrin

20. Nailbomb

Nailbomb Bit Poster

well, no i'm not a marley fan, don't particularly like reggae
    although there's one track by zepplin that's kind of carribean
    can't remember the damn name though.

As to tthe conforming part, well, I quite literally conform to my
    own standards, it just so happens that there are other people