1. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

I know quite a few people who would disagree with you there Baba! :biggrin

Fella at work had a DOA router delivered and it took him 3 months to get anything back from Belkin.

Guess it is what people like and get good service from. My personal kit is D-Link, had no problems with it.

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  2. sparky1888

sparky1888 Byte Poster

i guess its just down to personal experience........
    whatever works best for you........
    just dont use AOL if you want a stable system/connection lol!!
    hey...lets kill AOL :twisted: who's with me!!! :duel :gun

Certifications: Cerco's CCSN A+ DCSE
    WIP: MCITP , N+
  3. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

Never used AOL and never will.

Mates Dad has it installed even though I told him it was known to be poor, with the famous ‘once its on it will never come off’ reputation.

I have rebuilt his machine at least 3 times in the last 6 months due to him complaining about speed and performance. It works fine when I install it, then he goes away with it sticks AOL and all the stuff that comes with it on his machine and then has problems. Sherlock and Colombo aren’t needed to solve this crime.

When I asked him why he uses it he says because it is easy to install and simple to use, so if he is happy with it what can you do?

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  4. sparky1888

sparky1888 Byte Poster

i agree,what can you do?
    as i mentioned earlier, aol is for dummies,yes it does have everything there(anti virus etc) but at the cost of poor performance.....i dont uderstand why such a big isp has such poor software, you would think with the money that is coming in they could afford to employ the best programmers around, it has to be the worst software i have ever used....and yes, once its on,its on!!
    i tried to uninstall it a while ago on a friends machine,add/remove programs was as much use as a chocolate teapot!! i ended up formatting his drive as other programs were starting to become glitchy,icons were becoming scrambled ie, you click on winamp and a game would start etc.....

5. sparky1888

sparky1888 Byte Poster

oh and i forgot to say, the user interface/browser or whatever you want to call it is .....well, i would get banned from here if i said it!!

6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

sure thats not viral? i never used AOL before, and have only heard reports, not 1 good report.

7. sparky1888

sparky1888 Byte Poster

yeah it was viral.....aol is the name of it!!
    no in all seriousness i done a virus check at the time using a few antivirus suites with the latest updates......
    i think the aol.dll files were bringing down his system when i removed them,maybe it was my fault,although i doubt it,i was very carefull what files i removed.once i reformatted his machine and got it up and running again it was going 90mph, funny thing was , the aol software was one of those trial versions!!!

8. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

ooohhhhh people are putting the boot into AOL are they, well about blooming time i say. When i used to have the drop out scenario and id ring up their "really great experienced staff" theyd have me un ticking boxes, like tick this box to auto matically turn the modem off to save power etc , but it would still never resolve the situation.

Think the best thing i ever did was get rid , though that in it self was a nightmare. I had to allow a period to see if i really wanted to change from AOL (in case i changed my mind) then had to wait for something called a migration code, all of which was a load of baloney, as i found out i didnt have to do this. The worse thing about AOL has to be the indian call centres, now im not racist so please dont think other wise but when your talking to some one whose english is very poor and you know for a fact that he or she is just reading from a list on a screen gets you right peed off

AR*EH*LES ONLINE thats what AOL stands for , tho i liked blues austrailia online lol

There i feel a bit better now lol

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

As for their software it really does slow things down. Hoping to get said person off it....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. sparky1888

sparky1888 Byte Poster

think i'll start a an official aol hateclub....what d'ya all think?
    i could moan all day about how bad aol is.....im glad that i have found people who feel the same way!!!!!

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Guys !! FFS !! What is going on here ?

I think the message is loud and clear. Let's can the service provider bashing on such a one-sided and large scale here please, as of now. Do you want CertForums to have to defend another legal challenge for libel ? We all have our opinions, and have most likely stated them freely in the past, but let's get a grip here !

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Sorry Gav.

13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

LOL, so we all hate AOL then?

I have a AOL connection at home but I didn’t even install the AOL software, I just put all the config into a Netgear Wireless router and haven’t had any connection problems. No reboots in over 6 months. Also there isn’t any monthly limits on downloads which is handy as the wife to be is constantly downloading music.

I agree the client software isn’t the best, especially the web browser. AOL doesn’t touch IE though, so there is no reason not to use that or Firefox.

I don’t think AOL is the worst ISP, personally I think NTL is naff, there always seems to be downtime with them. Also I had a phone call from one of my mates who had just signed up to Wanadoo and couldn’t connect, turned out the wrong phone line had been activated for broadband, his neighbour was enjoying 2MB broadband and didn’t even know about it! 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. sparky1888

sparky1888 Byte Poster

Yeah...i agree,it is getting a bit out of hand,(must admit though i think i hit a nerve with quite a few folk!!) and it is good to know im not the only one frustrated with it.....so im gonna put it to good use and start a thread to help anybody having difficulty with it>>>>>>>>.check it out peeps
    Sparky

15. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

I have to say I disagree with most of these comments, I have been using AOL for about 6 years.
    I admit I first started using it as it was easy to use and install, but I have continued using it as I have never had any real problems with it. The software is certainly bloatware I agree, but it's rather simple to uninstall all the crap like computer check-up and spyware.
    Its also simple enough to configure it to use IE or Firefox as the default browser. I get free Macafee firewall, no download limit and a free wireless router. I have never had a disconnection issue and it will happily stay on all night downloading. I dont subscribe to any of the AV stuff etc, although for half wits its an extra £2.50 per month - no minimum subscription - for a constanly updated Macafee AV package that would cost £50 in shops for a cd and a years subscription. The FREE online 24hr messaging help and phone support are not ideal, but they are free and can deal with basic things.
    I have run AOL on various systems over the years and I agree it is bloatware, but if it slows your system down so much you actually notice it maybe it's time you updated your system.

16. sparky1888

sparky1888 Byte Poster

well well well....someone who likes aol!!!
    i know we have been a bit harsh,i guess its because,well,theres a multitude of reasons....
    Sparky

17. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

I never actually said I liked AOL, I just dont dislike it as much as some. It's seems strange to complain about the browser when you are not required to use it. I can honestly say IE all versions have far more complaints, the security patches and updates are never ending. I personally prefer firefox. I also find most of the useless (for me) add-ons are very simple to remove from the system if not required. I am no expert on the ISP market but unlimited d/l and surfing was always the main selling point for me. I used to hear all sorts of complaints from other isp users of idle for 2 hours = disconnection etc... no thanks.
    Just my opinion on things.

18. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Well, just to show I'll bash a company besides MS..... :twisted:

Here is a link to a recording of a guy trying to cancel his AOhell account. Don't know if anyone here has heard this, but it is pretty amazing. I'd have been pretty angry if someone had pulled this with me.

Lest anyone think this is a rare event from AOhell customer service there is a thread on dslreports.com, where I found the above link, and at least a couple of people who are former AOhell employees verified that this type of behavior is pretty much along company policy. One guy said they had to make at least 3 attempts to stop cancellations even in the event of the death of the subscriber before they were allowed to cancel the account.

Other people on the thread, former AOhell customers, verified very similar experiences with AOhell customer service people.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  19. sparky1888

sparky1888 Byte Poster

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i would be fuming, i mean, was the guy hard of thinking as well as hearing?
    cancel the account makes perfect sense to me!!!
    just typical i suppose..........

20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Guys please read Jak's post #31 again please :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)