AOL stuff

Discussion in 'Software' started by zxspectrum, Jul 3, 2009.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

With my ne net provider and im happy with the service but im ont happy the way its hijacked my browser and installed the aol/talktalk page. Its extremely slow, with ads and banners etc and my laptop is pretty high spec, i have a 2 gig core 2 duo processor and 4 gig of ram. My hard drives got about 8 gig from 125, but my computers running fine etc aprt from when i go online.

Now ive looked in the control panel in add/remove programs and i cant find anything to suggest aol/talktalk is there, its even done the same with chrome google and IE. Now to get rid of it, do i uninstall each of the browsers and re install them, or will that be pissing in the wind.

I just want my simple IE, google chrom and firefox browsers back to the way they were without all te crap slowing them down

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There's a reason why just every tech worth his/her salt says to avoid AOL like the plague...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. zxspectrum

Well i know as ive had trouble with AOL in the past. I was meant to be with talktalk, and the aol bit is what they forgot to mention, any ideas how to get rid of the whole shabang???

Ed

4. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Why dont you just pick yourself up a normal router and setup your aol login details on it, then do a clean install to get rid of all the aol crap (its the only real way to do it) and then just run your browser as normal. Thats how i used to do it.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  5. zxspectrum

I know what your saying raffaz, and to be honest i shouldnt have to go through tha way of dealing with it. Think ill ring them up tomorrow and tell them if they dont give me the software to take off the aol stuff then ill cancel the whole internet, may work lol

Ed

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What kinda modem do you have mate? Is it a USB one? If so there is some BT software you can use the dial the connection (so to speak!) so you dont need the AOL software.

I would go for another router though as Raffaz has suggested.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

This is the way I do it, yes AOL sucks more balls than ball sucking thing but you can get around their crap.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Have to agree with this 100%

I remember years ago, back around 1993 or so, when i first saw the Internet in action, the ISP was AOL and i sat and checked it out.. to me back then it just seemed pointless, just a ton of marketing rubbish and as slow as a slug over dial up. it actually put me off the Internet completely. then i had the misfortune of stumbling across a friend using CompuServe, which was just as bad. these CDs were being distributed in bulk throughout the UK, it was actually very hard to avoid them.

Anyway, soon after i discovered that there were other free alternatives ISPs, that not only gave you uncluttered Internet but you could use the fast and sleek Netscape Navigator to access the net. Once i had sat down with a decent browser for ten minutes my eyes opened and i haven't looked back. Since then AOL have continued with their totally annoying marketing practises and as Michael says.. the best thing you can do, is hit them where it hurts and avoid them like the plague.

Maybe one day, they will learn :dry

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

just to add I will be changing ISPs but at the moment where I live there isn't much choice so I am waiting a year until there is better coverage

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?