Anyone use CentOS?

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by nugget, Dec 17, 2009.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Just wondering if anyoine here uses/has used CentOS.

I've just installed ESXi 4 on a pc and want to set up a network monitoring/helpdesk system (SysAid) but I don't have the resources for a windows system (money for licenses etc). I thought I'd install this on a linux system and also get to learn a bit of linux at the same time :biggrin.

I had a CentOS virtual machine some time ago and it looked quite nice but I never got around to doing anything with it.

Would this be a reasonable distro to start (re)learning with or would someone recommend another one? I don't want to jump on the Ubuntu bandwagon either.

Thanks.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. Mkid

Mkid Bit Poster

IMO CentOS is quite advanced for someone who hasn't ''played'' with linux...Fedora is great super-friendly distro,give it a go.

Certifications: N+ MCSA
    WIP: Exchange
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I use it, not sure how "advanced" it is from other distros as I only use CentOS :D chuck in webmin and you should be able to fudge your way about via its web gui.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Considering centos is basically redhat its the best place to start if you're interested in learning Linux for future enterprise usage

I'd recommend fedora if you were interested in it purely for curiosity as its a smaller download and still rpm based

That being said Nugget will be re-learning so has "played" with linux.

I think centos is a fine choice

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Agreed, Centos is a great os, we are currently moving all our old RH based apps to it, if you've gotta learn something anyway might as well go for it large!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Right you are. It's been a very long time since I played or used it (more than 2 years). At the last company we ran SuSE as a file server. I did mostly all the basic admin stuff but anything more complicated and I just called the linux geek.

Thanks for the input guys.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I actually sat a Centos course a couple of years ago.... not through choice mind you.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  8. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

CentOS is ok, we use it here for a few things and run SYSadid on a windows box. both are pretty good but I have no experiance of it with sysaid.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

I prefer Ubuntu but I have several friends who would assault me for that and they seem to much prefer CentOs...

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  10. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

My VPS runs Centos so I suppose I should really have a look at this in 2010 and set something up at home. Currently paying for a "managed" service as my Linux experience is zero :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  11. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Centos is based on the Red Hat Enterprise source ,,,, without the Red Hat subscriptions.
    Thats why many people use it especially hosting companies.

skulkerboyo beat me to it

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  12. gregbuchanan10

gregbuchanan10 New Member

CentOS is an Ideal platform to learn. This is the flavour that was recommended to me when starting out. I must say since at the moment the two main distros are Red Hat and Open SUSE this is perfect. CentOS is redhat. It is very hard to find any differences and will stand you in good stead if you then go on to Linux quals.

Hope this is helpful

Certifications: CompTIA A+
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA, RHCE
  13. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

We're using Ubuntu or debian at work on our servers. Just started to learn it, doing first server install this week as it happens. Looke dta learning centOS for at home though as it seems more popular in bigger companies. We also use teh Webmin GUI for most of our setting up and i must say i like that.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  14. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

CentOS is a fab starting point. Great for if you want practice for RHEL servers at your workplace.

Couldn't get on with openSUSE - bluuurgh!

Have just mastered the art of joining a RHEL to an AD domain and then using kerberos (and keeping the authentication all going smoothly, krb5.keytab, configuration in /etc/krb5.conf, setup and smb.conf, kinit etc.). It is really frustrating getting it all going but i've finally produced some documentation that touches it in the right places and keeps it all tickety-boo ...long time coming as every time you think you're there, something unexpected occurs (esp with LAMP servers) ... most rewarding now though! 8)

If you can take the time to start using the bash shell then do, as most admin is so much faster using that then faffing around and going in via the GUI...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
    Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  15. linuxuser

linuxuser Nibble Poster

Before you start with CentOS try a distro like Arch Linux. You will have to make configuration changes from the command line to install it correctly but there is a lot of good documentation and videos out there to help you and it will accelerate your learning.

Certifications: ITIL v3, IS Foundation