Anyone studied the CCNA with the Open University?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by jo74, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Not really sure I understand your question Nirmal. If you mean what practicals hands on equipment you would use in the course ... As far as I understand it's all taught using Cisco's own simulation software and there are also day schools where you would have some tutor lead sessions as well.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  2. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

I can confirm that you do get packet tracer to use during the course for various activities which is excellent for lab stuff and you also get access to netlabs which is live racks based in Bedfordshire at one of the OU facilities, this too is excellent.

Also, you get 5 day schools and this is the best thing, you actually get to play with live kit at all 5 days! You also get to practice things like making/terminating ethernet cables and crossover etc. using the proper tools and at the end of each day school you do an end of semester exam which gets you in the practice for the CCNA as its mutli choice.

So there you go, some positive stuff about the OU course.

Steve

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  3. MadMat

MadMat Bit Poster

I did CCNA with the OU last year, and IMHO the day schools were the weakest part of the package, if they hadn't been compulsory for the OU credit I wouldn't have gone back after the first one.

Mat

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA
  4. teraknor

teraknor New Member

two different opinions about the same thing, which day schools did you go to?

5. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

I did the open uni CCNA course as well. Passed the CCNA full exam last week, 3-4months after the OU course finished. It was also my 3rd time of asking. Luckily you can still access the academy for revision after you've done the final OU exam.

You get the standard cisco material, the course it at a fast pace if you are working as well. I did like the labs and the coursework as this really helped with making sure you understood the material.

The day schools seemed to vary widely depending on where you went. They seemed to me to be more about getting you past the end of semester exams rather than hands on. We didn't terminate any cables or do a great deal that we couldn't have done on packet tracer.

I was on 18k when I signed up, I got a free laptop and also the course fees paid. I think if you get it for free then definitely go for it. If you have to pay full price yourself I would consider other options.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination