Anyone studied the CCNA with the Open University?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by jo74, Mar 12, 2010.

1. MadMat

MadMat Bit Poster

I did the Final Semester exam last weekend, and got my discount vouchers :)

Just doing a week or two revision and then I'm going to book myself a CCENT exam!

Mat

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA
  2. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

I'm in exactly the same boat as Mat.

Open uni ended up being extremely cheap for me, I'm on 18k and my partners on next to nowt. Meaning I got the CCNA course fully funded and a £400 laptop.

The course has been really intense for me. I did network+ previously but the shear volume of reading required for this is pretty massive. I've found the open uni to be pretty much self study. The 4 dayschools were useful as you get to use the kit (although some people still used packet tracer?)

At the end of semester 4 if you get a good grade you can get 50% off the actual CCNA and it opens up the possibility of doing a degree later on down the line.

This has been a long hard course, but now I can see the finish line it has been worth it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  3. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

For those who have already successfully completed the CCNA with the OU, were you already working in IT and did it help progress your career?

Or did you do the course primarily for the credit points for the degree?

I've applied for financial support for this course, otherwise I wouldn't have able to consider it.

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  4. MadMat

MadMat Bit Poster

I had some IT experience (helpdesk work), but wasn't actually working at the time.

there were some people on my course with no previous networking experience, and to be honest from the postings on the courses private forum they seemed to struggle to keep up.

Check where your local dayschools will be too, I had to drive 70 miles to get to mine!

Mat

5. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

I currently work in IT and have had some (very little) experience of Cisco devices mainly the 800 series and VPN's.

The course has helped my understanding more and fingers crossed may in the future help with career progression - need to book my CCNA soon.

I did the course for both the OU degree points and towards my own personal development.

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  6. MadMat

MadMat Bit Poster

Also bear in mind that the additional requirements that the OU add to the CCNA for the OU points add a considerable amount to the workload compared to doing a CCNA elsewhere.

There are 5 written assignments, each of which took me several hours to complete, and a 3 hour written final exam. that you need to pass to get the OU credit points.

Mat

7. suicide

suicide Bit Poster

Ok I just finished my CCNA through self studying, it took me over 1 year. Does CCNA count towards UCAS points as I am considering going univeristy next year as the job market is dead. I have no IT experience yet.

Is the OU free? Or do I have to pay?

Im unemployed at the moment

Thanks

8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I am sorry to say but having the CCNA and no IT Experience isn't going to help you get a job, whilst Cisco class the CCNA as 'entry level' I will be honest with you and tell you it's not.

You would be better off getting an N+ and leaving the CCNA off your CV for a while (and as per your other post, don't even bother with the CCNP just yet).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  9. suicide

suicide Bit Poster

Thanks for your reply many other people have also given me the same advice. I did start studying for the N+ but stopped and moved to CCNA as the CCNA does cover networking fundamentals but goes in deep.

I will get the N+ as well but jobs out there require more than N+ and CCNA

10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you wont get a CCNA job with no experience even with the CCNA cert.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

I originally signed up for the OU's CCNA course for next year, but then I got cold feet.

It was partly for the credit points (1/2 of the second year points) but I concede that I was also wondering whether it could lead to a job. I have to confess that I did wonder whether the fact that it would be via the OU and included practical work at day schools would seem more 'impressive' that self-study.

Yet I don't have the experience and that was always at the back of my mind. And anyway there are other courses with the OU that I'd prefer to do next year for other reasons. So I decided against.

The OU's certainly not free but you can apply for financial support, but the deadline's the middle of next week and you need all sorts of evidence of income and a photocopy of your ID countersigned by someone with 'standing' in the community.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/explained/financial-support.shtml

12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

What is it at the OU that you decided to do in the end then Jo? I assume you are doing some kind of IT degree?

You might want to consider the TM128 - Microsoft Server Technology

If you take it and you are based in the midlands, I may even be your tutor. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  13. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

I'd actually prefer to do some Maths courses (MS221 next year) as well as some computing courses (but with more emphasis on Maths).

I'm a bit put off by TM128 because it's 'only' a level 1 course; I've enough points at that level and choosing TM128 would've (as I've missed the deadline, I was aware of the course though) meant not choosing a level 2 course.

I'd be more confident in self-studying for an MCTS than the CCNA.
    It looks like TM128 relies more on virtual labs whereas I'm guessing that the OU's CCNA course would require more hands on work with routers/switches. So self-studying for the MCTS could be more workable (and cheaper)?

14. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I'm not famliar with the CCNA's curiculum but I know they use Cisco's own materials. As for the two MCTS's that are part of the TM128, they use the MS eLearning courses + labs. You also get books to go along with that. If you have no need for the level 1 points then doing them independantly via self study would definitely be cheaper. Then again you can get money off with the OU depending on personal circumstances.

It wouldn't suprise me if they make the TM128 a lvl2 on the next presentation though as quite a few students have been suprised at the difficulty of block 1 given it's supposed to be a lvl1 course.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  15. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

Perhaps the OU have missed a trick by not having a level 1 course for the Network + or the CCENT, each leading the CCNA (or the latter to ICDN2)?

The OU's CCNA course looks a bit 'isolated', there aren't really any level 1 courses leading to it and the only further Cisco course they have, or IT cert course full stop, is for the CCNP, which is at a post-grad level.

One of the reasons I removed it from my OU plans was that there weren't any level 3 courses following on from it; unlike the maths & stats courses I've chosen instead.

Perhaps the OU could do the MCSA/E at levels 2 and 3 with day schools/residential weeks?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  16. adbru

adbru New Member

Hi Guys,

I did the cisco course with the OU last year, really enjoyed it and had planned to do the external ccna after the OU exam.
    However I had a nightmare on OU exam day which resulted in only getting 67% after looking set for a distinction due to the tma's :(
    I was pretty hacked off afterwards and didnt do the external exam.

I followed it with T224 and found it very straighforward (my background is hardware field service).
    Now about to be made redundant early next year so have dug out the cisco stuff and hoping to sit the CCNA exam sometime in Jan.

I blew a lot of marks in last years OU T216 exam by interpreting a question completely wrong ! (converged networks)

I'm due to start T307 in Feb.

Adbru

Certifications: mcse nt4 (remember that?), mcitp-sa
  17. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Good luck taking the CCNA matey.

18. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Adbru,
    It was almost exactly the same for me, got around the same as you for the OU final written exam. Was not best please but knew at the time that I messed up a few questions.

I did find it a shame that the OU final exam brought down the whole of the course grade just from 1 short writtem exam when I did so well in 9 months in all the other written TMA stuff, was gutting but thats the way they do it unfortunately.

I am not letting it get me down too much as I feel I have a good grasp of Cisco networking, I too am going to go for the Main CCNA exam end of January giving myself some more cram time, I dont wanna leave it too long or I will forget everything. Also, where the OU exam was written, the CCNA is mainly multi choice and although you have to get at least 85% to pass, I think its acheiveable with having done a 9 month course on the stuff.

Good luck to you in your exam.

Steve

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  19. adbru

adbru New Member

Millsie, Best of luck for your exam.

Let us know how you get on 8)

Adbru

Certifications: mcse nt4 (remember that?), mcitp-sa
  20. NirmalDatacomm Kiara

NirmalDatacomm Kiara New Member

Well Self study through the open university is definitely an option, what do you think about the practical implementation of the same?