Anyone Looking for a Bargain !!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by purplejade, Jun 21, 2008.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I use Avira anti virus software, personal edition and it's free too. So far no problems and it gets the job done too:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I have to agree with the posters that say Norton's AV products are not good for a variety of reasons. They are too heavy on system resources and they can be a bear to uninstall too.. Also you have to pay for future updates once your subscription runs out.

I also find McAfee's offering to be heavy on system resources, though i do use it on my servers.

For home use, the free product by Grisoft AVG 8, does what it says on the tin, without noticeably slowing the PC down. I have used it for years and never picked up a virus. If you really must pay i'd recommend NOD32.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

The shockingly sad thing is, symantec enterprise has a very low footprint, and seems to catch far more things than Nod360, you kind of figure they would have similar engines right? go figure

I can't really be of much help as I have not used an AV at home for about 8 years

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I agree that Symantec enterprise is a different kettle of fish. i also understand that the latest products for home use are supposed to run more efficiently, it's just after having seen it get worse and worse over the years, i feel it's a bit late now to expect people to suddenly forgive them.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Kaspersky. Yes it is that good.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I use Trend Micro. Good app, but I'll likely switch, as they have raised the renewal price to the same price as buying their software for the first time.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Another vote for Grisoft's AVG8 from me. Excellent product and free...:D

8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I have tried both Norton and McAfee and they caused system issues, slow downs etc.

Currently working with AVG and have say that I have no noticed much of a slow down.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5