Anyone into lifting weights?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

So I went out and bought some weights looking to improve upper body strength. Anyone here got any advice for me? Im looking at homework outs ideally as I dont have time for the gym right now. Looking to build a collection of weights.

2. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Look for someone called Ben Coomber on tuneIn radio and youtube...he could help you with a few things

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Ben's good but he's more about whole sale fitness and eating, if you want some weights specific things, I would look at something like Starting Strength or Mehdi's 5x5, this is all about weights (more Olympic weights than Standard sizes but you can workout with either).

Ideally if you're doing something like 5x5 (which I started doing but for reasons have been advised to stop for the moment by my Dr, hopefully that changes this week as I spent a couple of K on Weights \ Rack) then you want to make sure you have some kind of workout rack, bench and bar but you can substitute to a degree with just dumb bells but it won't have the same outcome as if you were using a 6 or 7ft bar.

Out of the two different workouts I have to admit I prefer Mehdi's but Mark Rippertoe (Starting Strength Coach) is good, I just prefer the 5x5 workouts.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA