Anyone here work call/contact centre or similar

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Japanese Elvis, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Japanese Elvis

Japanese Elvis Nibble Poster

Any of you folks work 1st line call/contact centre customer support helpdesk or the like??

I, along with many others on here, am looking for a break into IT.

Now, working in a call centre does not immediately appeal to me - they sound like the modern day equivalent of the Victorian mills - but I accept I may have to take pretty much anything to get a foot on the ladder.

I want to retain an open mind, and thats why I'd like to hear anyones real experiences of working in this sort of environment.

I'm more of a 'hands on' kind of person, but like I said I appreciate I can't be too fussy at this stage of my 'career'.

Thanks folks.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA Server 2003
    WIP: Get a job?
  2. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I have been working in a call center for a large communications company since May of last year, almost a year.

It's called "paying your dues", and it sux large green boogers.

We're expected to take 30+ calls a day and close 1 trouble ticker per hour. Some days are slow amd I only take 15-20 calls. The next day management wants to know WHY I only took 20 calls the previous day. It's 100% BS, but like you said, it's my foot in the door.

Luckally, my one year mark is coming up in 2 months and I can start looking for something in actual networking. The policy here is that you have to be in your current position at least 12 months before you can apply for another department........so right now I'm just counting the days.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Elvis...I work for Apple in a call centre and it will be 1yr next month I have been there (and I thought they would have gotten rid of me long before that!!) besides the customers its a good place to work cos the atmosphere is so friendly its hard to leave the place when u get a new job. Before that I have worked for BT in both broadband and faults departments so I know a fair bit really. But like u I am also a hands on person. Just give it a go and see what u think...and yes it is a foot in the door plus there are opportunities to progress within the company itself...and that will look good on your CV for future jobs...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  4. Japanese Elvis

Japanese Elvis Nibble Poster

Thanks guys.

I appreciate that I'll probably just have to take whatever I can and 'suck it up', beggars can't be choosers etc.

I'm trying to reach a mental balance between my impatience to be doing something I like RIGHT NOW!, and the reality that I'll have to earn that right first.

Your words are appreciated.

Cheers :beers2

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA Server 2003
    WIP: Get a job?