anyone help - career changer?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Genesis, May 30, 2005.

1. Genesis

Genesis New Member

I was hoping that I could get some helpful advice from yourselves. A bit of background - I have been stuck in a dead end job for nearly 20 years now and desparately want to change. Want more out of life, work and have a family that I want to be able to support financially.

So looking for a career change and would like to get into computers. I am not particularly a building type person so don't think that working with hardware is my cup of tea. However i am quite a logical person and after a bit of reading seem drawn towards programming, database etc.

I have not worked in a computer environment apart from using them to input data etc as part of work. It would be a total career change for me.

So this is where I need your advice. As a complete novice which would be the best route to take? (mcse, mcdba, sql, ccna-know nothing about this one)).

I am also 40 years old - would I be able to find work easily in these fields of work?

Basically if you can give me any advice I will much appreciate it

Many thanks
    David

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,
    Welcome to the Cert forums. Here you will find a lot of advice about all the questions you have asked with all different opinions.

If you are desperately seeking to change career ASAP then there are many training companies who offer some kind of interview/employment at the end of it all. You might want to have a search around and see who has gone with who and what the outcome was/is.

If you are prepared to wait some amount of time then the self taught route can be achieved and will definately save you a lot of money :D

You mention that you would like to go the programming/database route- sounds good to me!
    Personally, I don't currently work in IT but hope to do so soon and have braced myself for a drop in money to get "on the ladder". I am hoping to go the Networking route.

Hope you get what you want out of your new chosen career- there will certainly br plenty of support from people on this great forum :iluvcf

Why not go to the lounge and introduce yourself?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Want an honest answer?
    Learn to be a plumber or an electrician.
    My father-in-law is an honest, hard working electrician who is self employed. He earns more than most IT people I know, and he gets to be his own boss!

If you are convinced that IT is the answer, and really don't want to build things, then maybe MCDBA would be a way to go. Tough choice though. Good luck with whatever it may be...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Can't add to what Boyce kindly said, other than drop by the New Members Forum to say "hello".

Thanks for that Boycey :)

EDIT - thanks to JonnyMX too.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

As a tradesman myself there is definately money to be made especially the ones you mention as they don't change and are always in demand.

Then again, it all depends on what you want out of life. I will always like cars and enjoy working on them, but I also have a passion for computers/electronics and wish I went down that road!

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

No probs Gav- It is like one big happy family here! :beers2