Anyone have any info about City & Guilds 7261 Certificates

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by dee1810, Sep 1, 2005.

1. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Hello Everyone

Has anyone got any info about:

City & Guilds Level 1 7261 Certificate In Computer Applications
    City & Guilds Level 2 7261 Diploma in Computer Applications.

I have seen in the local college course Prospectus, other IT exams like CLAIT and ECDL.
    Is there a hierarcy for these exams, like which ones are the better exams to have in your portfolio.

Are the City & Guilds exams looked upon favourably by employers?
    Any information about this would be very greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Certifications: Foundations, Site Designer & JavaScript
    WIP: Server Admin, and Perl
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I don't know anything about these quals personally, but would think that they are probably higher up in the higherarchy than things like the ecdl.

What you have to think about though is weather or not employers will know what these certs are, and I feel many will not. The types of places that will most likely know about these will be in the public sector, local government, NHS, etc. Which is all good and well if you want to work in these areas, but not if you don't.

A lot of qualifications like this are for working WITH IT, and not for working IN IT.

8)

3. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Thanks Simon for your post :D

I think these exams are now being called E-quals. If employers aren't really familiar with these exams, then things could get a bit sticky for me.

Thanks again for the advice.

Certifications: Foundations, Site Designer & JavaScript
    WIP: Server Admin, and Perl
  4. PAT

PAT Banned

Hi dee1810

Back in 2004 I did the C&G 7261 Level 2 in applications.

I would say that it was very easy two pass therefore I would not recommend doing it. The ECDL is a much better qualification as it is more difficult and has the option of doing an advanced level .

I hope this helps you and I wish you all the best

Paddy

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It may be worth mentioning that C&G certifications are not recognised outside the UK, well not in Australia anyway. When I emigrated here, I thought one of the reasons that I was accepted, was because I was a fully qualified Radio, TV and Electronics technician with 5 Years of City and Guilds study and over 30 years of experience. Nope, not recognised, if I want to be certified to put on a plug here, I have to go back to college (Taffe).

That sucks IMHO.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I did the 7261 in Data Processing, Computer Programming and Support. Nice courses, the only thing I have to say about them is that they seems to be a bit behind the times. The hardware part of it was us working on 386's and 486's, this was when the P3's came out, the software part of the course we were doing DOS 5 (Windows 2k was out already) and for the networking side - remember the BNC, well need I say more.

Which ever C&G course you do, it does gives some practical skills. In my opinion C&G's needs to update their course material alot more than once every few years.

But in the end, you get the certificate (if you pass) and in the UK C&G's are well known and don't expire. Don't know if this helps you, but just putting in my 2 cents in.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. ant2005uk

ant2005uk Byte Poster

Yes, I have taken the level 1 in computer applications and also the level 1 and 2 in Microcomputer hardware. The computer applications was very basic, pretty simular to the ECDL basic cert in my opinion. Consists of basic word, excel, access etc.

The hardware course was good, very hands on it teaches you about hardware identification, how computers work, installation of windows, system build, hard disk partioning and that sort of thing.

Of course, we are talking 4-5 yrs ago. I have no idea whether or not it would be much use now.