Anyone do just contract work?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Paul_o, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

just wondering, i am told contract work pays good money but you have the hassle of looking for another contract to start as soon as your present one ends. is there anyone here that just does contracts and do you find new contracts easily?

Certifications: C&G Advanced diploma in network support
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I know a few people that have made good money from just doing contracting, but there are often long spells of unemployment when the contract ends and they can start a new one.

The People who did the contracting had been in IT for a long time, and very experienced.

Most of them, at least last time I spoke to any of them, had moved into permanent positions, and sacrificed salary for security.

8)

3. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

I've been in IT for almost 8 years now, i'm 25 and thinking about heading into the world of contracting next year.

By then i'll have the courses and certs i feel i will need and also a good body of experience.

I'm getting bored of the 9 to 5 rat race for what per month isn't a salary thats setting the world on fire.... i'm kinda thinking why should i work for a whole month (work my ass off!) for whats is like £1400 a month when i could earn that in a week or two contracting (opportunites permitting!)

Therefore i'm saving 5k over the next year so i have something to fall back on. I'll then look for a good paying full time position, but if nothing is available i'm going to go contracting. Might as well do it while i'm young!

Thats the theory anyway! :blink

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I used to be a contractor - up to 1999.

As Simon says - you can do quite well - but your security decreases. And you don't wait until the contract ends before looking for the next one - you spend a *lot* of time marketing and lining up jobs in the future.

I had more than one period wondering where the next cheque was coming from!

You also need a first class accountant. In particular that accountant needs to be thoroughly familiar with 'IR35', a set of rules from the Inland Revenue (or whatever it is called now) that make life very difficult for contractors.

I stopped contracting when the 'umbrella company' that I shared with a partner collapsed. At that point I realized that the previous few years had been employment in all but name, so to avoid IR35 I went 'permie'.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Ive got my first IT role recently - its a helpdesk contract, so guess im an entry level contractor. You definetly get paid more, espically via an umbrella company. I didnt choose a contract specifically, but it suited me perfectlly as i wanted to study certs at the same time. Just hope its extended!

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

good luck with your new job :)

si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

People that I know say they love contracts and that they dont want nothing but contracts. Personaly I realy like the security of having a stable job knowing that if something lets say happens to my car tomorrow and I can pay for it without the worry of having to find a contract and making decent money. The thing is though I am just starting out and so for me unless I know my stuff like someone who has 5-8 years experience does, I cant afford to do that. Now I do small contracts on the side but nothing big.

For me my ultimate goal is to have my own company and do consulting but I am only 19 right now so my main concern is to have as much experience as possible.

But like the people before said in this post contracts can land you some good money.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA