Anyone develop apps?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Was talking to a customer about app development today which new territory for me I must admit. Anyone develop apps here that can give me real world feedback?

Basically need some rough advice on how to develop across all platforms (Apple, Android etc.) and pull data from a central location so it can be shared across subscribers.

If the app makes me a millionaire I’ll buy everyone a beer. :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Xamarin or Ionic framework ? Cloud microservices and REST.

disclaimer, no I don't write apps.

3. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Dammit!! :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Not sure if the IBM Bluemix development platform is of any use for this? Think you can sign up for free.

Sparky likes this.
  5. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Let me know if you do get a lead on this.

Been wanting to dabble in this field and learn app development for a while

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  6. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Seconded. Have a few ideas floating around, just not sure where to start

7. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Loads of Pluralsight, Tuts+, Lynda, Udemy, Newthinktank, LiveLessons stuff about.

Also books on amazon.

Iconic is basically Apache Cordova with Angular JS. So its HTML5/JavaScript UI with a native layer for supporting phone extensions like accelerometer's, GPS, touch, etc.

Xamarin is Mono for mobile devices, so basically its a cross platform mobile version of .NET.

So knowing JavaScript/HTML5 or .NET is a good start for either.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ionic-Action-Hybrid-Mobile-AngularJS/dp/1633430081/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441304406&sr=8-1&keywords=Ionic+in+Action:+Hybrid+Mobile+Apps+with+Ionic+and+AngularJ

But really dev is a constantly evolving field, there is no one simple answer for all use cases.

There is still a big native versus web argument, facebook gave up on a web based approach for facebook messenger.

If you go native you then need to learn the tools for each platform.

Android is basically a variant of Java.
    IOS tends to use Objective C but recently Swift has been released.
    Windows mobile tends to be C#/XAML/.NET.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  8. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I'm a developer. I got my android phone, went into settings, about phone, and at the bottom where it says Build Number, clicked that 7 times. Try it and be smartest like I are :homer:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  9. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Haha, I did this too ages ago, made me feel all warm and gooey inside.

In terms of the app development, Do you already know exactly what you want it to do? You could try and post the requirements somewhere like eLance/Upwork and see what people offer in terms of a solution, would be responses from small software houses then so should give you an idea of where they might look etc?

Not sure how tied in you are though with those sites once you post an advert, but i'm sure you wont have to offer it to any of the respondees if you don't want too.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
    JK2447 likes this.
  10. kritesh anand

kritesh anand New Member

Few of my friends have been developing and developed so many android Apps. if you want to learn apps application then you have to go for Android Training Course in Delhi

11. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I dont suppose you would have any information in regards to this would you? I think I would love to go to Delhi, just for this purpose, if you like feel free to send me the details, ill send you all my card details including pin as I am sure you are trustworthy

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  12. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Don't feed the shills !