Anyone addicted to Pepsi?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by NightWalker, May 9, 2008.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

It's available in the health food stores here. It's also been used successfully in Japan for the last 30 years or so too. Basically it's being kept off the main markets because chemists have been able to convert it into a carcinogen in the lab, but there is no evidence that this same transformation can happen in the human body.

They have also found that if they give male rats massive doses of it, which would be a few hundred times more of it than a human would ingest daily, that it lowers sperm counts, and if they do the same thing with female rats they give birth to low weight babies.

Yet they keep this off the market and allow dozens of other products which do the same thing, and allow outright carcinogens to be sold. If you ask me it's lobbying by the sugar and other chemical sweetners manufactuters that's keeping it out of the marketplace.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I avoid as many chemical additives as possible now in the food I eat. I have known aspartame is bad for a while and avoid it as much as possible. It’s been a few weeks since I gave up Pepsi. I have also stopped drinking coffee as giving up drinking caffeine was one of the main goals. I have noticed a real improvement in my energy levels, I can actually get out of bed in the morning now, it was a real struggle before. It’s all red bush tea, water and fresh squeezed fruit juices for me now!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I should drink more water as I don't drink any apart from when its diluting my orange. There are so many benefits to water aswell.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. NightWalker

I have had one of those Brita filter jugs for years, always put filtered water in my kettle and take a litre to work to drink. Never drink water right from the tap :blink

5. greenbrucelee

My Mum drinks 8 pints a day as she has low blood pressure and she has it from the tap :blink we did have one of those britta filters but I think it ended up in a remote cupboard never to be used again :D

6. NightWalker

Give it a new IP address and get it back in service :)

7. greenbrucelee

I may have a look for it and start drinking water ass my Mum is a carer for elderly people (although she is 67 herself) she has proved a few times recently that keeping the body well hydrated stems of lots of debilitating illnesses.

She was looking after an old Woman who is the daughter of the guy that founded Cranstons the butchers, everyday this woman would drink G&T and Tea but she started to develop althziemers as soon as my mum started making her drink 4 pints of water a day instead of G&T and Tea all day she has recovered although it will eventually come back.

8. NightWalker

Every drink you have is water based, tea or coffee, coke or orange, your body has to filter out all that stuff before it can use the water. You would get bored drinking nothing but water, but it does have real health benefits to drink some every day.

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Most people walk around somewhat dehydrated most of the time. Sure, coffee and soft drinks contain water, but they are also diuretics so you put out more water than you take in. The person I'm seeing to help me improve my health says that for every cup of coffee I drink in the morning, I should drink (at least) an equal amount of water.

After I'm done with coffee for the day, I mainly drink water and depending on the outside temp, chamomile tea (I really like the taste). I tend to shut down the day with a cup of chamomile, since it's relaxing.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

By now, I should be dust.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. BosonMichael

That would be me. Gave it a chance... just once... and I paid for it, healthwise. Never again.

As a degreed chemist, I should have known better. Aspartame breaks down at body temperature (which is why you can't cook with it). One of the breakdown components is formaldehyde! :ohmy Research seems to indicate that the breakdown components affect the brain stem, causing all sorts of nervous system problems.

I drink either full sugar versions or Splenda-sweetened versions. Splenda is simply chlorinated sucrose (sugar). It doesn't break down at high temperatures, so you can cook with it... and when you ingest it, it doesn't break down into all sorts of nasty things like Aspartame does. The majority of it passes through your body, unabsorbed.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. BosonMichael

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Alas, poor Michael... :wink:
    [​IMG]

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  14. BosonMichael

I bet if you added me to a drink, the caffeine content would increase. 8)