Anybody use Opera

Discussion in 'Software' started by flex22, Jun 29, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Downloaded Opera 7.51 yesterday, just to see what it's like.

the drop down menu's on this site don't seem to work with Opera (but 7.51 is the latest version so bound to be starter problems I suppose)

I know Pheonix uses Opera, so perhaps some thoughts from him about why he uses it above other browsers.

Is it simply preference over say, Mozilla Firefox.Or are their significant differences I'm not seeing.

I have Mozilla and Opera open now, and there doesn't seem to be masses of difference, from the interface point of view at least.

Is it a case of trying both browsers for a bit, and seeing which one I'm comfortable with?

Any Opera who would like to comment, please do.

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Well they work for me and I have 7.51, downloaded it Saturday evening.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Just started to work again, must have been a blip.
    Before only the very top part of the menu showed.Wasn't my systems fault I think, as IE and mozilla were using the menu's fine at the same time as Opera couldn't.

Anyway, what do you think of Opera.Do you use it all the time Si.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Possibly might have been if it was the first time you'd used Opera, it would have to download it's own copies of Temp Internet Files, Flex. Everytime you visit a page, after that, it would have cached versions of them.

Not used Opera myself, but have heard good reports.Still playing with Firefox, actually - nice browser.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Not all the time, only for testing the site design as you often get different behaviours with different browsers so need to run the site through as many browsers as I can to make sure everything looks and works as it should.

I think I will use it more though as it is a really nice package.

How are you finding it Flex?

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Finding it ok.Hardly used it yet to be honest.

I'm on firefox right now, as I haven't used it for a while also.
    I'll use firefox and opera intermittently and see which one I feel more comfortable with.

Your suppsoed to ads showing with the free verison of Opera, but I don't see any[​IMG].Maybe you get so long before they kick in?

As far as I'm aware, firefox is free, but Opera will ahve to be paid for to get the best from it.

Will have to see if it's worth the investment.

7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Flex, I use both Opera and Mozilla and now after 5 months I think they are better than IE. Less problems, less crashing and they behave themselves. One nag I do have is that they take up a bit too much space for the tool/address bars.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Use IE6 at home and Firefox at work. Firefox seems a little awkward to me but I think it's just because I'm so used to IE. I do like the way you can create tabs so you can easily toggle between pages.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

my primary reason for using it is because it will remember opened websites and re open them upon launch, this is great for me when i have 100 odd obscure tabs open, that and i have been using it before firefox was any good, and know all the mouse gestures and stuff off the top of my head

but its ability to restore open pages once the browser has closed/machine crashed/battery died thing is superb

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

That's one of the first features I noticed on Opera Pheonix.

Thought it was well buzzing myself as well[​IMG]

Oh while I'm here, a firefox question.
    I can highlight text and right-click and copy.When I go to the destination where I want to paste, I right-click but there's no paste option.
    Kind of puzzling.Ok now give me the simple answer and make me look a doh brain lol:!:

11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

does ctrl + c, ctrl + v work?
    could just be its not catching correctly, ive had times when i copy and there is nothing to paste, i just try again, if all else fails try the keyboard shortcuts
    if THAT fails then im as lost as you are :P
    its a standard windows function, should work fine

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think Opera is okay, actually I am not sure about the restore pages feature as it does not take ones privacy into account. I can just imagine my wife opening Opera and clicking away to be confronted with all the sites I had visited whilst she was at work [​IMG]

Firefox does it for me, only use IE for the odd site here and there that have been written specifically with IE functionality in mind, like windows update etc.

When I last checked out Opera it was highjacked in about 15 minutes and I was plagued with adverts!

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

:eek:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  14. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Well they'd all be study sites and certification forums, of course, so she'd see how dedicated you are to your studies.[​IMG]

The restore feature is cool with me as I'm the only one using this computer.
    I see what your getting at, but it's not like you have to use that feature, it's just handy if you need it.

At the moment I ahve to say Mozilla'a winning over Opera.
    Mainly by the cosmetics, darling I'm so vain lol:!:

But plenty more to explore, so I'll see how it goes..........

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I am a man and I do get sidetracked whilst surfing now and again [​IMG]

Actually I found surfing through ISA, using Firefox to be really impressive, much much faster than IE6. ISA is cool folks, even with a 28K DUN [​IMG]

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

well opera stores that sort of data in the Application Data of a user profile, so if you and the mrs share a profile, then yeah, ur buggered, but if you dont, your fine

and opera can be skinned and modified just as firefox, so the cosmetics shouldnt be an issue

17. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

So out of all the web browsers which would you guys say is the best one to have cos I am still using IE and quite honestly I havent really had any problems big or small....but I am wanting to try out the likes of Opera as I have heard it is good but just want to be sure I am doing the right thing. any suggestions children?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  18. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Altho saying that I havent had any problems..I do hate it when those damn search toolbars decide to install themselves and when I open up the browser again I see this toolbar added to search with...If I wanted to search I go to the search engine thank you!!! that reminds me I need to ask you guys about a few probs I am having when my PC starts up..been meaning to ask u for ages but just keep forgetting...I am at work now so when I get home this eveing I will post it out..

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  19. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

your not limited to one browser mate, you could try 4 at once if you like, just remove the ones you dont like, no problems there! :)

My personal fave has to be Opera, but thats because I have used it for eons and just couldnt get used to firefox, seemed a little 'too' slimmed down

I even use Opera on my SE P900 phone :)