Anybody use and happy with Bulldog Broadband!

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Sarah, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

I've just signed up but I'm getting nervous with all the bad press I am hearing?

2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

If I remember rightly, Phoenix was or is with them. He might have an opinion or two (good I think).:oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

nien! not very good im afraid

I was recommended to them but have decided that was a very poor recommendation (and im stuck with them for the remainder of the year)

At the time they seemed to have it all set, but i've had line proplems, dropped conncetions, and they have not given me a cut in subscription over the course of the year to a more reasonable level in competition with other providors, something my previous supplier, and many others do!, the average cost of a 2mb adsl line now is like 20 quid, im still paying over 40, why? because they have me tied up for a year and they know it

they are definatly one of those 'were in this only for the money and dont give a rats ass about our customers' providors, and i will not be renewing my subscription with them once my 12 months are up

I will likely return to Force9/Plusnet (one and the same really)
    or move to Nildram or Zen (i need some extra IPs)

anyway, just my 2p, maybe you will have more luck with them, and perhaps more casual users wont notice the problems so much, but as my net connection is in essence the very core of my being, i tend to :D
    you try playing World of Warcraft with a ping of 400! and a dropped connection in the middle of fighting a lvl 50 elite dragon!!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Mate, that must really hurt.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Aye, for real
    you cant reconnect to the game until your character times out of the game, so in most cases unless my tank survives (im the priest and do all the healing) were both usually dead when i get back in game! and if im soloing then im dead for sure, pffft :)

I did get promoted to Sergeant this week though, and im about to hit lvl 50, ten more levels to go, except now ill be fighting level 55 elite dragons!
    hehe

anyway, enough of my thread hijacking! :)

6. Jamin.

Jamin. Nibble Poster

I called bulldog about a new ADSL connection and asked for a static IP on a non-business connection. I was told that no home user would ever use a static IP and that it was just magazines telling users to ask for features they would not use! I did'ent continue that phone call.
    But AA http://www.aaisp.net.uk/aa/ has been highly recommened to me and I can see why -
    As many Static IP as you need at no extra cost,
    No ports blocked at all,
    Home server friendly,
    Reverse DNS,
    IPv6,
    Own research dept,
    Etc, Etc.
    I will be signing up as soon as my BT line is in.
    Disclaimer - I don't have any ties to the comapny, I just like to spread the word on an ISP who is tech friendly!!
    James.

James.

Certifications: MCSA: Security! GCSE Nautical studies
    WIP: On a break.
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

They sound like my kinda thing Jamin, i will check them out

Bulldog do actually give Static IPs, but they charge 5 quid a month for one!!!!

Edit: Hmm checked em out and they seem to have usage limits, definatly not for me hehe

8. ellttck

ellttck New Member

Hi there,

As with anything in this day and age if it sounds too good to be true.......

I am quite happily plodding along with my 1Mb Wireless Connection with Wanadoo - no probs to date, paying £17.99!!

WIP: A+ Certification
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I think you just need to go into any ADSL deal with your eyes open and check the smallprint. If you are a heavy user then most of the regular ISP's will be no use as nearly all offer cheap as chips 1 or 2mb conns, but with heavy restrictions on download limits. (Doesn't make sense to me, what's the point of having 2MB to just hit a cap in no time at all).

I can certainly recommend Zen, I have had very good service from them in the past. They aren't 'that' competetive on price but you do get 1 or 8 free static IP's and no limits. I also get the impression they refuse to compromise quality for profit, so they don't tend to over subscribe the service.

I recently moved from them to Pipex as the offer they had on was just too atractive to pass up and I have heard good things about their level of service. So now I have a no limits 1mb connection for 23 quid a month. No static IP any more but I didn't really use it anyway, so no great loss.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

Thanks for your reply's all
    I keep hearing the same things over and over again about Bulldog - your right the customer service is awfull - they are quick enough to answer the sales line but not to answer the CS line.
    Unfortunatly it seems like I am stuck with it, I have gone passed the 7 days cancel time - but I guess I'm not that much of a heavy user at home so fingers crossed I may be ok? :cry: :)

11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

blimey I feel sorry for you lot...I am Telewest broadband and lets just I wont be going back to using the phone line for broadband...cos cable broadband is so much better, I have a 2 meg connection and when I download something it comes in at about 200-300KBps...woohoo...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Ofcourse the maximum throughput for 2048mb connection is 256KBps before overheads, but you knew that already didnt you noel :P

13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

yep i sure did haha...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life