Anybody got any views OCZ or Enermax PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 7, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

a bit of out of my price range mate :(

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I was having a conversation with my mate I work with today...I came to the conclusion that in all honesty how much wattage do we actually use? Think about it...I know of people who have the highest spec of machines and yet they are running on a 600W PSU...and then u have people who are running not even close to a gaming machine and are using a 700W or even 800W PSUs.

I am sure I saw somewhere in the forums someone left a link to an image where someone was running a C2D CPU which had been OC'd to 4GHz and is running other high spec components...they used a wattage software of some sort. Now whether it was accurate or not I dont know but the total wattage it was using was under 300W thats right under 300W. Now im guessing if ur running a C2D thats been overclocked to 4GHz, then u will have a GPU of maybe a 8800GT perhaps, a 500GB HDD, etc. And yet I bet that person probably has a 700W PSU and maybe not even need it...

What I am trying to get here is...with all the prices of PSUs these days (especially the modular ones), what exactly are we paying for? The brand name (which is what many of us go for these days)? The reliability? The wattage? Who knows? Some go for looks, others go for popularity.

I've been looking at new ones myself since my last one died in my gaming machine and having a look around I am torn between OCZ, Corsair or even Zalman. Luckily I am getting a refund on the one that died and im going to add another say £50 and that will allow me to buy say a 600W modular PSU...but why would I wana pay over £100 for a PSU? well guess we will find out...

But in answer to ur question...thats entirely upto u...altho I did find a website (I think Asus) that allows u to find out roughly how much wattage u need for the spec u have...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Go with a seasonic mate, check out the reviews for them. Im using them in all my systems and havent had a problem, ive also built systems for family and friends with them in and had no problems there either mate. The price isnt bad either.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

just had a look at that myself...and for the price its too much...if it was a modular one I can understand but its not and as GBL says he is looking for a modular one...which is a lot better...

5. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

As davemid said, 600W is fine, in addition to allowing a lot for upgrade potential.

My personal recommendation are Thermaltake power supllies. Why?

1. They run very cool. Leaving on my system all day with gaming, surfing and coding never deviates from 35C (-/+2C) fluctuation.
    2. I've experienced power disturbances with lights momentarily going out, but saw no disturbance to the PC even though the monitor flickered.
    3. Their PSUs support everything.
    4. They are the most silent that I have come across on the market.

I'm not saying that the other recommendations are bad - I'm pretty certain that one or two at least match the Thermaltake selection. I don't think you need have any doubts with thermaltake. :biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  6. Raffaz

Heres a few little snippets from some reviews ive just looked at, these are from the older 430W PSU upto the 700W PSU.:)

Still, don't let its unassuming nature dissuade you. If you want a well built, top performing power supply that has one of the most bomb-proof set of voltage rails in the business I reckon this could be the one, though with several higher capacity models on offer, some of which seem to offer a more rounded set of output connectors, it might be worth reading a few reviews on those first before you decide.

Seasonic has swept through the enthusiast community pretty quickly and for good reasons too. Its 30 years of experience manufacturing power supplies means Seasonic knows how to deliver the goods and that's exactly what has made the brand so popular. Simply put, Seasonic power supplies are rock solid and give even the most hardcore users great peace of mind.

With all that being said, Gamers, Overclockers, and the ever challenged quiet PC'ers out there will love the M12-700W. Rock solid performance and as you can see with the voltage results very little fluctuation under load. If you decide to choose anyone of the M12 series of power supplies from Seasonic you will not be disappointed. I would like to thank Seasonic for sending out the M12-700W for review.

7. greenbrucelee

Cheers Mick I had a look at this one http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-003-SS&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=589
    Not sure if its enough power though, the rest are just out of my price range.

Yep I want a modular one so no clutter = better airflow.

8. Raffaz

9. greenbrucelee

10. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Wrong :)

And he said that's what he wanted, I questioned why and he said for airflow. I'm saying a proper power flow without dips is more beneficial than a little airflow.

The PSU I linked is a very good PSU and is better than loads of modular PSU's.

If you spend more then yea, they're better but at ~£100 they're not.

Silverstone are much higher end PSU's than many of the ones that have been mentioned.

Please get some hard fact, some proper overclocker reviews (top end overclockers) and come back.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  11. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

While I would agree mostly with what you've said. I've had my Thermaltake 2.5 years and it's buggered now.. I was probably just unlucky though, even bad PSU's should last longer than this lol :(

12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

So you are telling me u would prefer dust and clutter in ur machine cos of power dips? Right ok...i will bear that in mind......NOT!

13. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

So you're telling me you remove 2 or 3 wires and your pc is dust free? rofl OK! :D "i'll bare that in mind.... NOT!"

Dust can create overheating, this can be sorted by simply cleaning your pc from time to time and a few less cables won't make a difference to the build up - ESPECIALLY if you use cable tidies.

Dipping in power can cause life shortening on hardware..

What's more important? you decide.

14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

More dust free than other PCs I have seen still cluttered with wires...my main PC is more dusty than my gaming PC and thats due to the fact it uses a non-modular PSU...but hey if what ur saying is true...I will give it a shot sometime...

15. greenbrucelee

16. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Good choice mate...I should have mentioned Thermaltake myself cos they were another lot I was looking at...price looks good...its modular and the wattage is more than enough I am sure...I like it...I think ur gonna make me buy this one too :biggrin

17. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Looks smart, might be worth investing in a surge protector as well if you don’t have one already. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  18. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

It's your choice GBL, I tried to advise you to the best of my ability. I think I've almost convinced Noelg though, so as long as somebody paid me some notice lol :p

19. greenbrucelee

Yep I have a surge protector, I got one in a shop today :)

It wasn't that I was not taking your advice mate, the one you gave me the link for looked good just a bit pricey for me though.

20. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Yea I understand mate, just seems like you're rushing into things. If I couldn't afford something, I'd wait it out but I guess it depends on how soon you need the PSU :/