any Vbasic / SQL veterans out there

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by yeedle, Jul 10, 2008.

1. yeedle

yeedle New Member

Hi Guys and Gals!

I'm new, having joined in order to get some help in finding a career in IT.
    I'm considering programming as I'm not particularly good with my hands but quite good at Maths.

Now apart from a tiny bit of basic (in school 18 years back) and JAVA (with "Scheidegger training" 10 years back) and some playing about with MS Access, I'm really in the dark. I'm sure programming has changed over the years and would love to hear from anyone who is studying programming Vbasic, Java, or SQL /

Please advise me on a good starting course where I could get a better feel of whats right for me...

THANKS!!

Yeedle:

Certifications: :-(
    WIP: ?
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

in short, no. not really.

A+ has little relevance to programming, although it cant hurt to have a knowledge of how pc's work.

I would start with an MCTS in VB.Net (either 2.0 or 3.5 - its up to you).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

I'd suggest that editing your posts to make a nonsense of replies isn't very useful! <grin> Much better post a supplemental point.

I'm not sure how popular VB is these days - most places I come into contact with are using Java, some are using the current 'in' language: Ruby.

In my case (I'm a programmer) I use shell, C and Perl along with SQL.

It all rather depends on what you see yourself doing as a job.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I'm the opposite. I see a lot of VB jobs around here when I've been looking. some C# too, but very little Java, or Ruby.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

<Grin> Just goes to show the variety of work out there!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:biggrin

No worries.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Try your hand at each of those languages and see if you actually like them before deciding on a career with them.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:), there definately seems to be a lot of job openings for sql developers and programmers. I'd have a look at getting a book called "sql programming" as its very good, sorry can't remember the authors name.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!