Any SQL Gurus?

Discussion in 'SQL Exams' started by nXPLOSi, Oct 5, 2007.

1. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Hi Guys,

Got a problem on our SQL Database, using SQL Query Analyser I've managed to update a date field with a number, not realising it was a date field at the time. :oops: Now the 90 odd records that have had this update, crash the database. I thought i'd be able to just clear the fields from these accounts, but it doesnt seem to be having any of it, just hanging and crashing.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get around this?

Thanks!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Is this SQLserver?

Can you do a simple select on the database without it crashing? (So you can see what that field looks like).

And just *how* do you update a date field with a non-date? It shouldn't be possible. :biggrin

What is the definition of that field?

Lots of questions.

Harry (who knows SQL but isn't so hot on SQLserver)

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

It shouldn't be possible your right, and it wasn't! It turnt out to be something else, but with the SQL Developer off sick, I paniced abit.

All sorted now, but thanks for the initial help, much apprecaited :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

:biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+