Any ex JBC students?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Paul_o, May 18, 2006.

1. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

i am off to the JBC open day next weekend and want to know from ex students what they thought of it and was it worth the money. The course i am looking at is the Network Support Practitioner which costs 5K. one thing that i am not sure about is the fact that you do not get a recognised qualification at the end of it, but they do state that they will supply the exam prep and revision support to take the A+,network+ exams, but they don't say how much sitting the exam costs?

Paul

Certifications: C&G Advanced diploma in network support
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Paul,

All i can say is between now and then write down all questions that pop in your mind and ask them. If they have them written on paper all the better. Don't make your mind up on the spot, go back and sleep on it. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

5k seems a bit steep if it's not a recognised qualification and they don't pay for the exams! To put it in perspective, Scheidegger/Skillstrain charge around £2500 for A+,N+,CCNA homestudy course and that includes all the exams and materials. Is the course you're looking at class based or homestudy?

You could go down the self study route if you're feeling particularly self-motivated and do it for a hell of a lot less. The A+ exams cost £105 and the N+ is £154 (add vat to that if you book with VUE) and you can probably get a good selection of books for £100. Plus you have all the wonderful people on here to help you as well.

Like Boyce says, start thinking of all the questions you want answered now and have a good root around the forums, you'll find a lot if useful info here that may spark further questions. Good luck to you whatever you decide to do!

Lord Deckard.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  4. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

Its a 7 week residential course, looking around this site it looks like all this course is really offering is 7 weeks of experience on pc's and networks. i see that you can do the A+ exams on a self study basis, think i'll get a book and see whats involved, i have probably done a fair bit of the practical side, i have built several pc's and set up a home network so assuming i can pass the exam all i need is experience and i have exceeded what the 5K course teaches. i will still go to the open day just to see what they have to offer.
    Paul.

Certifications: C&G Advanced diploma in network support