Antivirus

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by spy22, Mar 10, 2008.

1. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

Another vote for NOD32, use it and resell it at work :D

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ditto this.. if you really want to pay for an AV product, then Nod32 is the way to go. 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

PC World people are normally dummies, a work collegue of mine who knows nothing about computers asked me if he should renew his norton subscription, which claimed his sytem was virus free. I told him to get AVG or avira (the free ones). He chose AVG and AVG found 58 viruses on his PC and it killed them all.

I had it when first got my comp, I uninstalled it never to darken my comp again.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Any software company that has separate uninstallers for its programs available for download from its website 'in case the built in one fails to remove the product' is headed in the wrong direction... but it is quite useful if you just want rid of it!

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I formatted to be doubely sure :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

norton is a horrid piece of software. in fact not only would i never buy it, but i'm pretty sure you couldn't pay me to use it on my own boxes. i personally have used a number of av programs in the past, but what i currently use and don't see the reason to change from is avast. its free like avg and takes up very little space, the only difference was that for me it has picked up things that avg hasn't, then again i've seen avg pick up things that avast didn't, so for me its six of one or half dozen of another.

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP
  7. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Doesn't that antivirus have a nag screen on startup? I'm sure I tried it about a year ago and uninstalled it because of that.

On the main subject though I use the free version of AVG and find it good. At the end of the day most of the main stream AV are good as long as your carefull in your surfing habits and what you open etc.

If you do want to buy an AV package then scan have some good OEM versions of the big brands like Kaspersky which is meant to be one of the best for dirt cheap. Personaly I wouldn't touch Norton with a barge pole. Whilst it does it's job well (from what I remember) it's overbloated and a system hog.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  8. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

They (AVG) most certainly do have more staff working on the paid version as the bloated size of the install package and the incredible amount of resources that it consumes, demonstrates. While I have no problem recommending AVG Free, you'd never catch me recommending their paid product suite. It's a dog. If AVG could make it as lean and clean as some of their free products, I'd be a big fan.

This is what happens when the marketing jackasses get too much of a say in how the products are put together. Norton used to create good products at one time, too.

Orson Scott Card has a good theory on why this happens.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs