Another VMware question that just occurred to me...

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Baba O'Riley, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Does each virtual machine get its own share of CPU cycles (ie. an equal number as the host OS) or does the VMware application get its own ration that it then has to divide between any vm's that are running.

I guess what I'm asking is that if I am running Windows XP on the host and one instance of XP on a vm, and I was running one instance of the same application on each OS (say for argument's sake Internet Explorer) would each instance of IE get the same number of CPU cycles or would the host OS treat the VMware application as just that - an application?

I hope this makes sense to someone because it sure as hell doesn't make any to me!

Cheers.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

processor thread management is pretty advanced these days to say the least, vmware would take whatever it could get when needed, ie, no point in leaving idle cycles around!
    however more often than not, memory is the key facrot in slowdown and performance issues, you CAN limit vmwares usage in that area, and you can increase it if you wish, ie force it to use as much memory as needed even pushing into vmem, this can lead to issues with disk acess as vmware now is using disk for memory and hard disk, so it slows right down
    memory is the key here, but to get back to your question, yes vmware is an app, and a guest os is just using whatever the 'app' can garner, i could be wrong but i think each seperate guest is treated as an individual app (check task manager for this)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Didn't think of checking Task Manager, nice one. I'll have a little play.

Memory isn't a problem at the mo as I have 2 GB, but if I set up a large virtual network I'm sure I'll be explaining to the girlfriend why I need to buy another stick or two soon :biggrin !

Cheers!

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270