Another total beginner to MCSE

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Grasshopper, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Grasshopper

Grasshopper New Member

Hi, I'm new to these forums and I'm in a similar position to Mr Hanky.

I've just been made redundant from a job in the insurance industry. I now want to get into IT but at this stage I'm not even sure which qualification is best to pursue. I'm currently leaning towards MCSE becasue a lot a job advertisements stipulate it as a requirement and because I used to know someone who did it.

I've looked at a number of training providers and have basically ruled them out because their fees are exhorbitant. Some of them charge throsands of pounds just for providing online training which is taking the piss IMHO.

Can someone tell me whether it is possible (albeit difficult) to study for the MCSE exams by just using books? I've got a PC at home running XP connected to the internet but I can't really afford to set up my own network just to experiment on.

I do have quite a bit of computing expeience but it was a long time ago. I'm also comfortable with home study as I did some insurance exams about a year ago.

Are there any good books I can buy on the MCSE exam, not necessarily for training but to enable me to guage what I'm letting myself in for before I lay down any serious money?

Is it better to pass a lesser exam first before tackling the MCSE and if so which one?

Which is better Microsoft, Comptia, or Cisco?

Sorry for all the questions but at the moment I can't see the wood for the trees.

Thanks in advance.

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi there, Welcome to CF!

In a simple answer to your question; Yes, it is possible to study for MCSE through self study, many members here have done it, and are doing it that way.

Something that you need to think about though is that it is not an easy certification, and takes many years of hard work to gain, in addition to actually using the technologies. You should compare the MCSE to a Degree, as both can be as difficult as each other.

If you are looking for a good Certification to start with then you should really look at the CompTIA A+. This is an entry level certification that will prepare you well for future development in IT.

Take a look around our Microsoft forums to see what others have said.

HTH :biggrin

3. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

its 7 exams i believe.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Simon. Perhaps tackling the A+ exam might be the better option in order to get your feet wet. You can visit the A+ forum and take a look at the Books and Resources thread pinned to the top to get an idea of what resources are used for study.

As far as MCSE books to give you an idea, the range is pretty wide. You might just want to stroll over to your local bookstore and check out the computer certification section. Look at the books related to Microsoft exams. Most people start out wtih the Windows XP 70-270 exam. See if you think you could reasonably tackle it.

Microsoft cert exams are notoriously difficult and those who are insufficiently prepared tend not to do well. Do a bit of investigation and let us know what you think.

BTW Grasshopper...Welcome to CertForums. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Pedrito

Pedrito Nibble Poster

Ah, yes! Welcome young Grasshopper.

You show wisdom by choosing CF. Many wise words have and will be spoken here.

Now, head for the cooling box of surprises and obtain spiritual freedom.

:beers2 :biggrin

WIP: A+; N+; MCSE
  6. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

lol @ pedrito!

indeedy, yon cooler box holdeth many, many surprises, but thine fridge pack of ye olde carling is way more.......mystic!

who's for VB's? :alc :slidedrin

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  7. Dream_In_Infrared

Dream_In_Infrared Nibble Poster

Forsooth, methinks, that Moominboy hath, perchance, lost a barrowload of marbles. Prithee douse thineself in a four-pack o'suds 'n chilleth-eth. ;)

Tarry not Grasshopper. Seek out A+ Corner and mayest I bid thee a fine welcome to our humble abode. :)

Certifications: None :(
  8. moominboy

alas! poor dream in infrared!

I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

i think you're right d-i-i, i know i left those marbles here somewhere, maybe that goddamn penguins pinched them again.......:tongue

9. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CertForums! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Grasshopper. I see you got a typical CF reception - welcome from me too :)

LOL @ the way this thread went !!! :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. moominboy

in honour of this thread and the way it went, im going to add something to my sig.....p.s, colour has a "u" in it Admins.....:tongue

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

...and "banned" has an "a" in it, wide-o :x

j/k - US software mate - can't make it 100% perfect ! :tongue

13. moominboy

hehehe! i guessed that.
    i was only kidding though mate, no need to scare me into submission.....wide-o! :tongue

14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

As if !!! :lilangel

:wink:

15. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome aboard mate! Hope you like beer! :biggrin

OH and linux soon enough! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  16. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  17. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sounds to me like "banned" might have a moomin in it, but it could be my lysdexia playing up.

Welcome to the madhouse.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685