Another SkillsTrain noob

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by M!cook, Nov 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

wow, whats with the spamming of that link? :blink

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  2. JohnDoe

JohnDoe New Member

I had the same speal. He's a salesman. Double glazing, we can do it cheaper, 6 for the price of free.

EDIT SG: Content temporarilly removed for Mod Review

Then I find out that each assignment has a 6-8 day turn around for marking. No good having quick / slow patches of learning, you won't get the material 'till they've marked it. Company policy.

Yeh, I had the same speal, and it has taken me 21/2 grand to work out that anyone who can navigate their sales bull and organisational bureacracy probably has enough energy to teach themselves a few IT tricks.

3. JohnDoe

JohnDoe New Member

who did you get advice from?

4. JohnDoe

JohnDoe New Member

:eek:
    I am just finding out that I too have been taken for an IT ride. Truth is you can learn more on your own than you can with skills train. The simple solution is for Scheidegger / Clydesdale Financial Services to have a refund policy based on the percentage of the course studied. it would be expensive to opt out but would cost less than the full amount. Scheidegger don't have an opt out policy 'cause they've got their money from the bank and they say speak to the bank and CFS don't have an opt out, they say, "speak to scheidegger" (that old loop trick cop out). BUT, there must be enough people out there learning enough IT skills to propagate the truth of this con, save others from the con, and put pressure on these companies to operate fairly. Why doesn't Ciao have system to help members get in contact directly? I too am interested in contacting people who have had this experience with a view to some collective action. My email is [email protected]

Why are you censoring factual information?

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Haven't you posted this elsewhere?

'Factual information' is normally biased from the point of view of the person posting it. Sorry to say, but one person's opinion does not constitute fact.

The staff here will decide if your comments are valid for this forum. They don't decide if they are true or not, just if they could get the forum into trouble.

Remember, this is somewhere for help and advice, not a soap box for having a pop at your training provider.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

More a case of your post content edited for the following reasons:

Firstly, you have a grievance between yourself and your training provider - Certforums will not serve as a venting ground for any displeasure you have with them. Please seek 3rd party/ legal advice if so unhappy with them.

Secondy, the reason content was removed from your post (pending Staff review) is due to the fact that your comments place Certforums in a legally unsound position which we do not wish to be in.

Thirdly, you claim "factual information" was removed - this is according to you, and is as yet unsubstantiated.

Finally, you post the same points repeatedly in several posts. Please make sure you have read our Rules & Guidelines with regards to multiple posting, and post content in general, before posting again.

If you wish to discuss any of the above points, then please do not hesitate to contact me or any of the Staff here by PM.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Just to add to what Gav has said, it seems that part of your posting your e-mail address here is to collect contact information from CertForums members pursuant to some sort of class action suit against your training provider. Our forum does not exist for such a purpose. I suppose you could take out a newspaper ad asking anyone with experiences similar to your to contact you which would be legitimate. Please, if your entire purpose for joining out forum is to use us to "go after" your training vendor, it is not a good use of your time or ours.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. O B one

O B one New Member

Hi Noobe here just logged in

Have been reading this thread with interest as I had the Skillstrain guy round this week (he went away empty handed).
    I expressed an interest in cisco training he actually tried to steer me away from this and on to web design basically because I already have a city and guilds in web design but no practical experience.
    I was interested to read that before thinking of cisco It would be advisable to do an A+ and a N+ course is this correct. I have no practical IT experience apart from building computers for myself and family.
    The Cisco course would have cost £2750 and at no time was I pressurised to do anything probably because I made it quite plain that I wasn't ready to start just yet due to house move.
    Maybe I missed it but havn't read anything from anyone who had finished a course and got a job.
    Would be interested in any feedback from anyone who has finished a course and what they got out of it.

O B one

p.s.this is on foot of skillstrain website if anyone was in doubt
    (© 2005 SkillsTrain in association with Scheidegger Training. ) :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+
  9. Legacy3003

Legacy3003 New Member

Hello everyone,
    This is my first post since i registered.
    I have been reading with intreset and have to say Wow. What a grudge :twisted: to hold againsted a company.
    I have a lot to say.

Alot of people are missing out on a good opertunity for a good carrier just because of unsatisfied customers/Students. :dry
    My course im doing is the N+ i think PC master and maintanance. If you realy enjoy pulling PCs apart and learning about all the technology available for a computer system (my dream) :biggrin then this is the course to do (from my personal experiance).

You say no one has posted that has actually past the course i think this might be because they are working with a good carrer or doing another course to earn them even more money. why should come across a subject like this when the company involved are old news, just the people who got them their certificate.

A girl at my work place wanted her boyfriend to do the course so i gave he the name and she came across negative material but this is only because thats what she was looking for. Why cant the selected few just admit that they just walked into somthing they did not want and lost some money because of it (just like any contract phone, water service, cable providers and the rest).
    The company is only as good as the people who work there so not every man that nocks on your door (because you asked them to) will pressure you into singing on the line.

Why do this course if you don't have responsibilitys im only in it because im in lots of debt and have to work 40hr week, i have a doughter and my girlfriend is at fulltime collage. so if you have all day evry day you may as well go collage and do it properly the course is for the disadvantaged.
    I know its a lot but a lot has been said.

Regards
    Legacy3003

P.s execue the spelling and grammer

10. FurioD

FurioD New Member

How do we know you are not involved in this money making scheme. My girlfriend is in Uni and she does proper work which relates to her course well, the questions in the books and CD's we get seem old and so easy all you have to do is read the book and it says the exact question as the answer, also the organisation of this SKILLS TRAIN is a bit wacky they never have called me. £3700 is alot of money to be throwing to a company, maybe there might be a catch but maybe your right people are moving on and getting on well this is what we need to find out, proper hard evidence that people are moving on at the end of this course.

11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

But then again, isn't it odd to join a forum and have your first post on a thread that has been dead for 6 months about a training provider?

There's more interesting stuff here - honest.

Why not say hi?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL

Another one...

Whats the betting we never hear back from 'FurioD' again?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  13. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

There are two or three threads like this about training providers. They get resurrected every couple of months by one-time posters either vitriolically for or against training providers and they don't ever post again. Frankly, it's boring the arse off me. If these people are shills from their competitors I wish they'd all either grow up or go and fight in someone else's backyard.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  14. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Agreed

There must be something we can do about it.

how about a rule stating that NO mention can be made of individual training providers AT ALL?

People who have read my posts in the past will know that I was more than happy with the training provider I chose for the classroom courses I took for my MCSE, but I'm more than happy never to mention them again - or any other provider I use in the future for that matter.

What bothers me most about this is that I'm sure there are people around who could really benefit from the excellent advice available here - but are put off by the stupidity relating to shills coming on here with either (very) thinly veiled attacks on other training providers, attacks on the self-study route to certification or (as is becoming more common lately) a hybrid of both methods.

On another note - Moony looks like he was on form when that photo was taken Babs...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  15. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

LOL, when was he not on form?:blink :D

How about some kind of rule saying something like "You must have posted ten times before you can post on this thread"? I agree it's moving away from the freedom of speech this forum nurtures, but as you say, these idiots are clouding what could be good advice and presenting a fictional image of how good/bad training companies/self-study are (delete as applicable).

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hopefully real new members will take into account the post count and the rep of the contributers. I know I do before I take anyone's advice to heart.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  17. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

I think a lot of the issues relate to individuals being slightly naive before they sign on the dotted line

personally i am with this provider (wont mention the name lol) and so far so good

my only negative is i want to progress faster but cant move forward until I have each module marked

I am substituting my course with extra material... VTC and CBT nuggets and i work nights so can study a lot more than required

before signing up i knew what the commitment was and that I could afford it even if I changed jobs etc etc

why do people sign up if they moan about the cost etc, if you cant afford it dont do it, if you want miracles pray

if you want to pass certification in IT learn as much as you can and some more to boot and the same goes for any career one embarks on

WIP: N+ & CCNA
  18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I like this idea.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I seem to remember in the dim dark past (I possibly signed up when I was drunk) being a member of a board where they had a quarantine situation in effect.

I think it went that you couldn't post on the main boards, until you'd posted in introductory x amount of times (had to be no more than 5). A Mod would then grant you access to post on the main forum (ie, eliminating the fact that most shills, spammers and forum Gits will theoretically not go through this process just to get to the board).

I think it worked well. I also Admin a forum with a similair kind of system, but some forums are completely restricted to lower level users. Such as the World Domination Forum.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  20. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Sounds like a good idea :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house