Another SkillsTrain noob

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by M!cook, Nov 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M!cook

M!cook New Member

Hi all, I want to open my life now, I am a PC geek with a life basically! I had a sales rep from SkillsTrain around here today! All seems awesome to me, but isn’t that what they get paid to do! Anyways, I want to get into IT the field he offers to me was Networking CCNP etc! £3400 and £100 first fee, I can pay monthly blah blah, not like I am skint... but... I want to make the right choice, are these guys really what they say! Can we / I really learn from home in the way they say! (I know I can but can they provide the info). if I fail, he said *If you do fail, I don’t think you will from what I see of you here but if you do we will give you your £3500 back and put you back in until you pass for free!, that is how confident our pass rate is.* later he said *you will be garneted a job at the end of it all, you will not walk right into your dream sal but you will start off on £15 - 18k, but you need to get on the ladder before you can climb it,*
    The problem is, he is only given me until Friday eve to reply with a yes or no as he will be leaving my area, etc. so not given me allot of time to decide, even though I will be throwing my cash at him/them.
    Do the CCNP/CCNA certs have as much use as he makes out? I need to graft, but in the end I will be better off? Is it worth going with ST?
    Also, do any of you know if I will be having any contact with a real person throughout the course?
    Thanks in advance
    Regards
    Martin Cook

Certifications: BUM
  2. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

can I just ask you which Company was it that arrived on your doorstep? Skills train are the company who provide you with the course material! was it Scheidegger? or someone else?

Certifications: Foundations, Site Designer & JavaScript
    WIP: Server Admin, and Perl
  3. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Blimey. :D

They really have panicked you, haven't they! I think I have seen your post about three times now.
    Relax :ohmy

Who was the company who has been to see you?

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Take your time, he'll be back! :biggrin

5. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Hi simon

I didn't like what he said about the bloke pushed him to sign on the dotted line. Cheek!

I'm OK, I'm just hoping that it isn't Scheidegger..

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Unfortunately Dee from reading other members posts alot of them (training companies) seem to say "we need and answer by....".

Ultimately you can take as long as you like because they want your business.

8)

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

Not to be critical, but this reminds of the BBC program Rogue Traders. A Sales person comes round makes "incredible statements" then gives a very short space of time in which to give a reply saying, "we're only in this area for a short time", "discounts are only valid for...", "limited places..." & "we will personally guarantee...".

Saying that if they are offering to refund all of your money (pls read the fine print first as there will, for the most part, be terms & conditions to satisfy the refund) it's your choice. I know I've stated this several times, but you may find that your local tech (college) does it, not only that but it may also be at a cheaper rate. I know that round our way they do it, and they're alot cheaper than alot of the private training providers.

But at the end of the day, it's your cash & your decision, the rest of us can only express/tell you our views and experience(s)...

hope that this helps.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. M!cook

M!cook New Member

sure, he was from skills train i am sure, he left me 2 dvds, a vhs, 2 booklets and his card! he was telling me about collages etc, to ask about, if their tutors hold certs, etc, he did make alot of sense!. Anyone actully on any of the courses with ST?

9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Admin (J): Duplicate discussions merged

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, M!cook. A search of our forums would turn up several threads very similar to yours. Take a deep breath and relax. They can't force you into anything and believe me...if you take a week or two longer to decide than they want you to, they won't turn down your money if you should decide in their favor.

Figure out why you want a career in IT and see if there is an area you are particularly interested in. Your next step is to decide all of the different ways to train for this career and at what level you need to start your training.

If you have no background at all in IT, you might want to start with some entry level certs such as the A+ and Network+ (I know...it's been said before). Many certs at this level can be self-studied...that is, you pick up a book and start reading...put together a bit of a study lab and learn the craft.

More formal education isn't necessarily bad. You can go the local college or uni route. Compare their prices to the private training vendors. You might want to also take your money situation into account. How much can you afford to spend?

You don't have to make these decisions right away. The only person who thinks this is an emergency is the salesperson from the training vendor. It's your money and your life. Big decisions shouldn't be rushed.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Unfortunately nobody has addressed this question and I have no experience with CCNA/CCNP but I can tell you from what I have read that they are tough especially the CCNP. Are you sure this is the route you wish to take? Do you love configuring switches and routers? Do you enjoy subnetting? Personally it is not my thing but you may be different. Have you considered the A+ N+ and then MCP > MCSA etc?

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. iank

iank Bit Poster

Hi all, you mention Skillstrain and also Shidigger(however you spell it). They are both the same company. It is always a little worrying that a company has two names, maybe because one of them has such a bad reputation!

Please remember that these are distance learning courses and the companies only give deadlines to pressure sell you. The truth is that even if you decide in a years time they will still take your money.

please take as much time as you need, as long as you can pay there will always be a place on the course. Do your research before spending all that money, and i hate to say it, be a little wary of comments written which seem to boast how good a particular company is, because it may have been written by someone who works for that company.

do lots of research before you sign up and spend your hard earned cash

13. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Hi all

I may need correcting here, but I don't think that Scheidegger and Skills Train are the same thing at all.

Scheidegger is the Training Provider that provide the tutor services, course material, VHS promotion video, Very keen salesmen who I invited into my house to sell me a training course. (actually, I DID interview Them...). I was giving them my money for 3 years on a monthly basis.

The course material is compiled and produced by SKills Train. It is their course material. (My folders used to have Prosoft inside the small print- It is their copyright.)

The exams are done through ProSoft and Person Vue - not Scheidegger. I'm not sitting a Scheideggr Certificate, i'm gonna sit a CIW exam.

Confusing I know!!!!!!!

14. M!cook

M!cook New Member

Ok, well thanks for all this advice peeps! It’s still a big blur to me! I am big into building pcs, upgrades, repairs etc. I am only 18 and I feel its time to make a move on my career. But I don’t know how to go about it, I don’t have the motivation etc for self training and it all seems so easy just to pay and have it all put in front of you, sounds more like being lazy!. I will be honest, it don’t know much about the Jobs available from the CCNP cert. All I know it’s about networking etc and I want to get into the networking scene. Can anyone print a better picture in my head?

Dee… How would you rate Skills Train? And is the programme they use really any good?

15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It takes a lot of motivation to turn classroom instruction into certifications, a degree and a career. Don't assume that you'll just absorb it and actually learrn just because it's in front of you.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  16. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Martin

As Trip has just said to you, It really won't land in your lap, you really do have to be prepared to put all of your energy into a Home Study course - It really is hard to keep motivated especially if you are very stuck on certain subjects. Yes, you DO have a live tutor (well, this is true about Scheidegger, anyway), but sometime, a subject really won't sink in...
    I have had to fight all the way with JavaScript & Perl, but with help from my tutors, i've overcome it. Now I just have to revise, and Try to make sure that I can answer all of my exam questions.

The folders that I have now in front of me are from Skills Train, and as usual, they are very much theory - based, with perhaps the odd practical exercise thrown in. (labs)
    How much practical skills or confidence to just "get stuck in" when a server need re-configuring to allow different permissions remains to be seen.
    I really do hope that when the moment comes I will do my very best to get it right - I usually hit the ground running! :D

17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Martin, IMHO you should go for the A+ this is an entry level exam that covers computer hardware. It is a brilliant starting place for anybody wanting to get into IT. From there you can do the N+ (Network essentials) and you will then be on the right track.

I would keep my money in my pocket, buy the Mike Myers book that is so frequently linked to here and start learning! Why pay for a course up front when you can buy a really good book and teach yourself. I made the mistake of paying up front for courses and found myself sitting in a class being read to by an instructor. The instructors were not allowed to sway from the course material or give you tips on what to study to pass the exam, they just read the words. You can do that and save your money for building a home lab. You would need about three basic PCs to play with, so that you can configure servers, domains etc.

Pete

18. M!cook

M!cook New Member

i mean that i wont have the motiv, to self teach! but i am up and ready to take on whatever u get thrown at me, i am one that will not give up on somthing untill i understand it and i get it right!. The course i have been offer is ALL of the certs, A+, N+, CCNA, CCNP and another 2 i think, not remember the ones he said. I have here atm, 2 laptops and 4 pcs!.

19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Martin, even if you do enrol on a course, you will certainly also have to self study. Everyone involved in IT has to self study in order to try and keep up with the ever changing technology. You can't keep paying for someone to teach you.

What I am suggesting is that you do the A+ first, self study it because it is suited well to this method. Then the N+. Once you have those under your belt, you will be in a far better position to decide where to go from there. Keep your options open. I have a hunch that the MCP > MCSA might suit you better than the CCNA route. Are you certain about which direction to go in right now? If not, do not pay up front.

Things will become much clearer to you over time, I believe the sales people take advantage of peoples naivety in order to fill the seats that they have vacancies for. You should take control of your own destiny and not be swayed by someone that has other motives!

20. M!cook

M!cook New Member

ok, thanks for that,advice taken!, how would i got about self study of A+? any progs. you can rec. books etc?