Another rejection letter!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Johnd76, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Well that's me got another rejection letter! "we regret to inform you".......God i hate those words!

So how long did the folks here generaly have to wait to get their chance in the IT industry?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Took me 5 long years... Oh the plus side, it did give me time to train up, beef-up/perfect my CV & gain valuable interview experience.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Still waiting, although I am getting more and more responsibilities at work where I am covering support for the servers and workstations I use but I still have to inform the IT dept of anything I am doing or get them to allow me to do something.

Recently we had been getting loads of virtual memory issues so I went and had a look at the setting and notice I could add another 1000MB to the page file but I had to ask IT first before I did it, but I am getting some good xp at the moment.

Keep trying mate, something will come along if you persevere :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Sorry to hear that, John.

Did they give you any other feedback, or was it a 'generic' style letter? Have you given them a call to find out why they have decided not to hire you?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Hard luck John.. Got to keep trying anyways; and what the heck.... their loss:D

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  6. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

It was a generic letter..........never ever thought of phoning a company to see why I didnt get a job (I always took it because I dont have any experience)

7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

It's always good to get feedback - never assume it's because of the experience thing. Even if that is the case, there could have been ways you can interview better - or they can let you know specifics they were looking for in the hire, so that you can target your next job search with more precision.

Good luck with hunting.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i was lucky got an in IT job straight out of uni but still its hard work finding jobs in IT.

I've never had a rejection letter, usually assume you haven't been short listed if the job/agency haven't responded with 2 days or so

GRim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  9. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

5 weeks from application to employment. The only IT Application i have ever sent out. rejected a job as a Apprentice Chemist for it.

Keep in there mate takes time

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  10. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Sorry to hear that Johnd76.

I think it took me about 8 months and loads of applications before I got even an interview.

Keep trying though as something will turn up.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  11. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

That sucks man.
    At least your not in Canada though, there are no Jobs here atm due to the Immanent Recession.
    We're so reliant on the US it's not even funny. Damn you Bush.

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  12. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I think were all lucky just have a job at the moment! could be worse, I could be one of the thousands made redundant just before xmas

13. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

That's very true, everyone's hurting right now.
    Well.. there should be some really good sales this Xmas.. people still have to move product somehow.
    I for one don't have the guts to buy anything right now, very scary times.
    My company has cut about half it's staff already.

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  14. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

At least they had the curtsy to send you a letter in my experiance most don't bother. Sometime every if you had a interview

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I once got a bad photocopy of a standard rejection form letter without my name even being scrawled in at the appropriate places. Some places are just too busy or just too insensitive to be bothered with what I would consider common business courtesy.

Sorry to hear about the rejection but, as you probably can tell, we've all been there. I agree that those of us currently employed in any capacity should be grateful, since so many are currently unemployed. At least in the US, the funds for paying unemployment insurance is running dangerously low. My understanding is that provisions are being made to extend that funding, but it's a sad testimony to the times we're living in.

Continue to persist. Jobs are out there, but the timing and circumstances for getting one just can't be predicted. You never know when the next application will lead to an interview or when the next interview will lead to a job offer.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  16. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Yeh had plenty of calls and rejection letters though in the past 2 half years I have not been out of an I.T. job, most of that time was during uni + internship.

To get my most recent job post uni I went to two interviews. Got the 2nd one.

It takes persistence, learning those important interview skills, getting feedback and trying to get a good mix of skill, experiance and qualification.

Don't let it get you down though, I know people who were stuck for many years before they got their big break.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  17. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

My first break was by pure luck, saw the advert Thursday, interview Friday, job on Monday - BIG piece of luck.

Since then, I've gone for 3 other jobs, all have been "no" and "someone else was better suited", but I knew where I failed - some of the more top-end MCSA stuff which obviously I have even covered yet.

Keep trying, I've heard stories of 100s of applications before someone gets lucky. Look at Ken (wagnerk) - 5 years of trying, now he's one of the few I pay particular attention to! Bet he would make an excellent boss!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  18. francisco

francisco New Member

Dont worry men.Thats pretty normal.You have to get used to it.Do your reseach and find out how recruitment consultants and agencies work and youll understand.Good luck