Another Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Farrukh, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Farrukh

Farrukh Bit Poster

Hello Again

I am having problem in implementing group policies to an individual user.
    My problem is :

i have a computer with windows xp . i have six users on that computer there names are A ,B , C, D , E and F . i want to hide disktop for one user only and i need to remove some items from start menu .i went to run > gpedit.msc > user configuration > administrative templates > desktop > and i choose hide and disables all items on desktop . i did it good for user A but the problem when I restart my computer all five users desktops were hidden . it is not only for desktop but all change i configer from group policy for one or two user will take active for all use who are using computer . if there any way to configer group policy in deffirent user in different settings.

Please help

WIP: Preparing for MCSE
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'm not sure if you can do what you are trying to do using local policies. On the local PC when you define the setting it applies it to all of the users. If you were setting the group policy from Active Directory it would be a simple case of making sure that the users you don't want to restrict don't have read access on the policy.

:blink

3. Farrukh

Farrukh Bit Poster

Thankyou for replying friend i was thinking that nobody is going to even reply.

You are saying that if there was Active directory installed.

but i am using XP PRO having accounts in it only and i want to implement the policy on that particular machine.and i think active directory cannot be installed on client based operating systems.

does any one know any way of it.

May be the grouppolicy would implement on the whole computer and all users as the name suggests "Group Policy".

then is there any other way around please help

4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I don't know any way around that limitation on a standalone desktop.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. Farrukh

Farrukh Bit Poster

Thank you friend.

I think that on xp pro i cannot apply group policy on a single user
    is it so.

have you read my previous thread :Problem..."

if yes can you help me in it

thank you

6. Farrukh

Farrukh Bit Poster

Friends,

i think i have found a solution to the problem but the solution is a big one that is

If you switch from using XP PRO to WIN 2003 series you will be able to implement individual group policies on your system

although switching systems is a tough thing to do.
    i haven't done it o 2003 yet but i will try to implement the policy if i get the operating system to install on my PC.

7. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

If you are going to use a server, running as a DC,(because that is the only way you can install active directory and have the group policies you're looking for) as a workstation, then I hope you aren't going to be accessing the internet from that machine. The only people who can log onto a DC are domain admins, and surfing the net, email, etc... are very risky behaviors to engage in while logged in as a domain admin.

Also, if you are going to be running any software that is cpu intensive then it's going to be running much slower than you think because a DC gives priority to its server processes before it gives cpu access to user processes.

DC = domain controller

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  8. Farrukh

Farrukh Bit Poster

Hello everybody

well freind you are saying that if i install Active Directory in the 2003 server then only i will be able to implement the group policies on particular users?

Say i donot install the active directory in the 2003 operating system then would i be able to implement the group police on individualos seperately.

Say i am using 2003 exterprise edition then can active directory be installed in it if not then can i implement group policies on individuals through "gpedit.msc" command

Help please

9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yep, that's what he's saying.

Nope.

I'm not sure if I totally understand this one, but her goes anyway, yes Active directory can be installed on Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition. However, No you will not then be able to apply group policy on individuals via gpedit.msc.
    Gpedit.msc is how you would apply local policies on the client machines, and as you have already found out local policies are applied to the machine only not at the user level.
    If you want to apply the policies to users and for them to be pushed out from the server you will have to place the users into an Ogranisational Unit in Active Directory and then create a policy on that unit, this way when each user logs on (to any machine on the network) the policy will be applied to them, and will not restrict the PC for other users.

Hope that helps with your question. 8)