Another opportunity

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ffreeloader, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Great stuff Freddy.I hope you get that lucky Break. :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Freddy, I know of no one more determined and dedicated to becoming an IT Professional than you.

You work extremely hard to learn and improve yourself, when this oportunity arrises it should most definately be yours.

Good Luck Mate.

8)

3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I hope it works out for you freddy. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Thanks guys. We will see what happens. I've been so close so many times before and nothing has happened that I don't get too excited about these things anymore. It will be great if it happens but right now it's just a possibility.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hang in there, Freddy. As they say in Galaxy Quest, "Never give up! Never surrender!" Good luck. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. ffreeloader

Well, a little more news on the job front....

I had another technical interview on Tuesday and aced it for a company which I've been in contact with since June of last year and have had three interviews with so far. The interviewer said she was going to recommend that I be hired and we discussed money, again....

I have another interview left, but this one seems to be about only one thing: if I'm interested in the direction in which this company is going. The owner and I talked on Thursday afternoon on the phone for about 5 minutes, and during that conversation he emailed me a link that he wanted me to investigate to see what I think of what is going on there. We will talk again at 10:00 on Monday morning about the concepts involved and if I like them.

The reason this is an issue with this company is because the head of their development program left a few months ago because the company changed directions and he wasn't interested in where they were going. So, this is a big issue with the owner now because he lost a very valuable employee over this.

Interestingly enough that same employee is the person who tried to get me into the company in the first place. He and I talked last night on the phone for an hour or so about what happened there and why he left. He has now gone back to running the business he had before he worked there. He told me last night that if the job doesn't come through for me he may very well have an opening for me in a couple of months at his company doing Linux server administration.

So, we'll see what is going to happen here. One way or another it looks like my Linux skills are going to get me a job long before my Windows skill are. Learning Linux looks to be one of the better decisions I have made in a while as the job market is not flooded with Linux people, so when the positions come open the applicants aren't beating down the doors to get in. It's a job market much more friendly to the job searcher, and more and more companies are running Linux/Unix/FreeBSD servers.

I've even been told I can switch all the company servers over to Debian so I'm pretty stoked about it.

7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hey that's great news Freddie, fingers crossed for you.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Sounds very promising to me too Freddy, and thanks for sharing the news 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. Balian

Balian Bit Poster

Good on you Freddy, keep fighting mate. Whatever's worth having in life, is worth waiting for. 8)

Certifications: HND IT, A+
    WIP: MCP 2003 Server, XP Professional
  10. ffreeloader

WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!​

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Can we assume good news and celebrations are in order Freddy ? If so, this is a joyous day !!!! So do tell more ............. ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Details, Freddy! Give us details! Share your good news with your buds. :D

13. ffreeloader

Yup. I got my job. I'm hired as a consultant to install and administer Linux web servers and Postgresql database servers for a web development company. They are developing an application that will be a part of this but the actual computing work and data will be stored on our company servers, not salesforce.com's servers.

14. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats! :cheers :beers2 :yep

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Congratulations, Freddy. Here's a "toast" to you on this happy occasion. :biggrin

[​IMG]

16. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Great news Freddy.

Congrats :biggrin

They have just hired themselves a top man :thumbleft 8)

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  17. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  18. ffreeloader

Thanks guys. Like the song says, "I'm all jacked up...." Now comes the hard part: Earning the money I'll be getting paid....

I guess you can only get what you dream for. I never dreamed I'd start off at this level of administration, but my Linux skills got me in the door. I'd have never gotten a job doing this with Windows servers. There would have been a hundred guys with much more experience than I have crowding me out.

Linux really does open doors to you that would never open otherwise. It is definitely worth the effort it takes to learn, and it does take a lot of effort and determination.

19. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Fantastic, Freddy - really great news. I wish you all the best and hope you enjoy it as much as you deserve to :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Oh happy day! That is just brilliant Freddy, you are a true inspiration to me and I am sure many others. You will do well in that role, I think you were destined for it. It has taken a while but you have not wasted your unemployment stint, on the contrary, you have re-educated yourself and made yourself valuable to this employer.

Good onya :clap

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)