Another Newbie

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by t®oUbLe, Jun 10, 2008.

1. t®oUbLe

t®oUbLe New Member

Hi Folks

Finally deciding to go for a Cert, unfortunately I'm not disciplined enough to study at home so I'm looking at affordable tutor led courses
    I've been a hobbyist for a few years although my PC has gathered a bit of dust in the last few years because I found it difficult to be a geek AND keep my girlfriend
    I'm working in IT but only on IBM iSeries software written specifically for this company I work for, no work related windows experience apart from mapping the odd drive now & then, no experience of Server 2003
    Obviously money is an issue for me like most people & I'd rather not pay out for courses that arent necessary
    I want to eventually have a MCSE, is the A+ honestly recommended?
    How would you all recommend going towards a MCSE in the minimum amount of certifications?
    A+ then MCSE?
    A+, N+ then MCSE?
    or another path towards it?
    any shortcuts?

Any advice is appreciated

WIP: A+
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

The recommended route is A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA and then the MCSE.

Good luck with your studies.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You might not want this advice, but if you have no experience administering Windows Servers, then the MCSE is not worthwhile for you to pursue at this point in your career. Certification is designed to show that you already have experience with a technology, not that you want to get a job working with a technology. Microsoft recommends that you have one year of experience administering a 250+ user, multi-site, multi-server domain environment before pursuing the MCSE... not one year in IT, but one year actually doing that job. Getting a certification won't automagically make you qualified to administer networks... only experience can enable you to do that... and most employers these days realize that. Thus, most employers hire on the basis of experience - certification is just an "extra".

You say you work with software - but doing what? Just using it? If you haven't ever worked on a help desk or provided desktop support, you're likely looking at some sort of an entry-level job like that... and in that case, the A+, Network+, and/or MCDST are perfect entry-level certifications to pursue.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Hi welcome to Cert Forum

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

I would also recommend doing the MCDST (and the A+ & Network+) first of all.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

As some of the earlier posts have mentioned, going the route A+; N+ then MCDST is probably your best option. Since you're working somewhere, is there an option to move into another department (i.e. Helpdesk) even as a volunteer. The more experience you get, the better off you'll be.

Welcome aboard...

8. t®oUbLe

t®oUbLe New Member

I do work on a HD as 2nd Line support but my skillset is only on our own travel company software running on the AS400, I've taken all your advice on board & I've started reading Mike Meyers' A+ book
    I'll do the MCDST & Net+ afterwards
    Being on the IT floor, I might be lucky enough to get into more Windows related work, I've already started to put a few feelers out with the people I know, I'll just need to buy a few strategic pints for the senior IT managers on Friday nights in the pub, my company loves to hire internally

WIP: A+
  9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  10. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Hi and Welcome to the forums, I would also suggest the A+, N+ then the MCDST before you even consider anything else.

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009