Another new face

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by asje1, Oct 16, 2007.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

All the intel work? Loved it. All the stuff that went along with being a soldier? Not so much. There was tons of time that I consider to be "wasted"... endless maintenance of vehicles, trash cleanup, supervising college cadets... everything OTHER than doing intel work. I ultimately got out after three years due to mismanagement of resources. If I had been in a good unit that focused on intelligence analysis, I'd have likely stayed in.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. reaper

reaper New Member

Welcome asje1 to CF

Darn i wish i had found this site B4 i had signed up for a training provider too, would have saved myself a LOT of money from what i hear.

WIP: A+,
  3. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

We had a team meeting at work on Thursday - at the moment i am just a skilled worker, no benefits from the average worker apart from some unpaid responsibilities.

I explained that i am doing an MCSE course in which i need to start looking for a more IT related job. My manager who i play football with on a Monday night (advantage) was intrested and as i explained the need for an IT related job and how i would like that job to be with Severn Trent Water (where i work).

He offered me split work, 1 week as my normal job, 1 week with the techies - asking them questions and gaining experience in the IT dept. Until i passed my A+ then i will be looking for a job in the department.

Do you think this is worth while? Building up some experience? Possibly leading to a job? Or do you think i should still look for a full time role within a new company?

If i get the job, i could be sponsored through my company to pay the provider for my course so there are some great benefits here....

My manager has asked me to put together a list of what qualification i will gain from the MCSE and put them forward to him to look at.

I think i have a good oppertunity here, buts its a case of who i know, and not what i know.

I want to know your guys throughts....

Do i accept this or decline this offer - if you were me? 19, male.

Thanks

J

Certifications: A+, N+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Any real-world experience is worthwhile. Take the opportunity... if a full-time opportunity comes up, take it.

Who you know is usually more important than what you know. That's why I always stress to network with others in the IT industry. People who are in the field can help YOU get in the field... or get better positions on your way up the career ladder. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!