Another lamb to the Slaughter

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Daz, Nov 23, 2005.

1. armalyte

armalyte New Member

aaah ive just realised that ffreeloader is in the states.

It's a different ballgame here my friend, as I've realised when you apply to jobs via job agencies and directly; paper qualifications dont mean too much UNLESS YOU HAVE AT LEAST 1 YEARS EXPERIENCE. Sometimes they even ask for 3 YEARS OR MORE?!

hence hands on is the key. If you cant afford the courses, and really DO want to get into i.t., I also suggest a charity or soem tenacious networking to get your hands on some hardware and haev a muck about with it. The one other thing i DO have to emphasise is that even at begginer level, it helps if you know about how to navigate around your windows o/s and office software. Im serious here, as its shocking how many probs are sometimes as simple as offcie prog fixes and even dos line commads! I guess thats why the ECDL was put together as well.

you MUST have a passion/desire to work in i.t. otherwise you will find the hard parts like PULLIGN YOUR HAIR AND TEETH OUT.

I'll come back here soon if poss, to report on my jbc training outcome decision etc.

god bless y'all :)

2. unemployedstudent

unemployedstudent Byte Poster

Welcome to the CF flock.

With my limited experience, take the A+ and N+, you could also go through Cerco, especially if the MOD is paying.

I read last night (on a thread) that with Cerco you pay them £4000.00 to go through the training and then they offer you a job.

I had a similar suggestion made to me by Apprenta. (See threads)

(Incidentally, one of my careers was with the 'Glosters' & the TA over 18 years). Normal life is a shock :aaah

Certifications: BAISA(hons) Degree, ECDL.
    WIP: A+, CompTIA N+, CCNA
  3. Nick

Nick New Member

Armalyte - just wandering what the outcome was of your open day visit to JBC. I am also considering one of their courses and am going to an open day in a couple of weeks - have you started the course? and do you think their 'guaranteed job' offer is genuine. I too have had a bad experience with computeach - despite their guarantees i never did get a job in IT and i finished their course 2 years ago. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

4. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.. 8)

Certifications: A+ Network+
  5. markthedoc

markthedoc Bit Poster

I'd also like to know how ya got on with JBC buddy :)

6. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

I went to a JBC open day about 3 weeks ago, after being reccomended by an ex student i came across on the net. Basically one of the instructers tells you about the course, and gives you an idea of what jobs you could apply for after it, you are also shown around the three buildings they teach in. on the open day i was on i met someone who knew two other ex students and they are both working in good jobs, one was an ex fireman and one an ex copper , the person i know was ofered two jobs and he said all 15 people on the course found jobs. there is a job garantee but don't expect them to find a job for you, they give you interview tips and techniques and show you how to write a cv . It convinced me to sign up with them and i start in August, as i am working i am doing the course in blocks of 3 weeks august two next janurary and two feburary. I would say go to the open day with an open mind and see what you think.
    Hope this has been of use. What i will do is when i start the couse i wil give updates on what i think of it.

Paul.

Certifications: C&G Advanced diploma in network support