Another interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ffreeloader, Nov 16, 2005.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Well, a week ago I thought I had a job. The only thing reason I didn't get the job was the company finally decided that they weren't going to fill the position right now. However, one of the programmers at that business referred me to a friend of his who has a need for network analysts and engineers.

I interviewed today at that company. It would be a combination of network analyst, network engineer, and second tier help desk. The interview went pretty well as the two people that interviewed me and I talked for more than an hour. It was a really in-depth interview and by the time I left I felt right at home with the people who interviewed me. I told them so and they said they felt the same way with me.

They said they would try to get me a second interview this week with the business owner himself as he has the final say in who he is hiring. Well, before I even got back into town this evening they had both called my home and sent me an email asking if I would be available for a final interview Friday afternoon.

To put it mildly, I'M STOKED. The job would be one in which I could really grow. They asked me if I would be uncomfortable in taking on projects by myself so I asked what kind of projects. The answer really suprised me. A good portion of my job would be designing and building small company AD domains and physical networks from the ground up. I could hardly believe my ears. What an opportunity to stretch my skills and horizons. It's a dream scenario that's for sure because they even do Linux work.

All I have to do now is get past the interview with the owner. If that goes well I'll have my job. It's a small company that is growing pretty rapidly. Two years ago it was a one-man band, and if I'm hired I'll be the fith full-time employee and they are looking at hiring a full-time salesman too.

Oh, how I love small business. In a large company I'd be pigeon-holed off in some corner somewhere doing one specific job and never have the chance to get into all the different things I'll get to do at this company, if I'm hired.

Just call me mini-Phoenix.... I'll get all the variety he's getting, just on a smaller scale. WOOOT!!! Did I tell you I'm STOKED. This is by far the best opportunity that has come my way yet. If it happens all the hard work for the last 3 years will be worth it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Sounds great freddy.I wish the best of luck with the second interview,my fingers are crossed for you.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

well if there was ever a mini me it would be you freddy, good luck on that final interview, im sure you will carry it away!

i was always told that an interview that goes on for over an hour is always a good interview, even if you dont get the job, and it sounds like you and the guys there really hit it off, the same feeling i had with my recent interview

fortunatly whilst my projects and clients may be large, the company itself is not, were at about 70 people now, many of them in sales and technical, however there are only 6 of us in our group, and we have become the 'go to' guys for pretty much anything, I had one of the sales guys ask if i could help his client who is using OSX directory services, i mean, i told him flat out i dont do apple, but OSX DS is built on OpenLDAP, so perhaps i could help anyway, see how it goes :P

Back to topic
    sounds like a wonderful oppertunity for you freddy, and of all the people I see on these forums, very few people take the technology more seriously than the 'cert', your one of those, and your attention to the finer points puts you on a level above most others, good luck with the second interview, we will all be rooting for you

Well done that man!
    :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

well done freddy! hope that you do get the dream job on friday mate!

good luck! :thumbleft

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Am Crossing Everything for ya mate! :thumbleft

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

If that guy has one ounce of sense Freddy, it's in the bag 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Way to go freddy mate. Good luck for Friday too. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. ffreeloader

Funny you should mention this. One of the questions I was asked was if I had any Apple experience as some of their customers are runnning OS X so I'll be getting exposed to this too.

This company mainly has clients in the Spokane, WA and Coeur d'Alene, ID area but they are expanding outward and have clients in Portland, OR and Seattle, WA too. I was told that I'd have to do some traveling so it sounds as if I'd be the one servicing at least some of these clients.

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Great news, Freddy. Good luck on the second interview. Remember...kick butt, take names. :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Nice one ffreeloader well chuffed for you mate. Fingers crossed...:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Good luck mate.
    Hope you land this one!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Go for it Freddy - good luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  13. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Sounds good mate. Good luck.

Neall

WIP: A+
  14. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Good luck, Freddy! :)
    All the best to you! :cheers

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  15. ffreeloader

Well, I think I can kiss this one goodbye. The job has a lot more physical work in it than I was led to believe during my first interview. I won't know for three weeks, but I very highly doubt that I get the job because there are days where I know my back won't allow me to do the walking and lifting that would be required.

16. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Tough break mate.
    I don't know what it's like over there, but we have very strict rules about discriminating against those with a disability.
    In theory you can get in real trouble if you don't take on the best qualified person because they have an impairment (bad back, blue hair, facial piercings etc).
    In reality though it's impossible to police it.
    I guess it would depend on the job title/description. 'Network engineer' doesn't necessarily imply heavy lifting.

I once refused to hire a guy who was blind in one eye and prone to seizures to work in our warehouse. The rest of the HR department went ape on me. But I still maintain that you don't want a forklift driver with no depth perception who is likely to black out without warning.

Something else will come along, you're a clever guy.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  17. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Thats a tough break freddy.

There will be other opportunities out there, and I'm sure one of them will be yours.

8)

18. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Sorry to hear it Freddy ! The fat lady ain't singing yet tho ....

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  19. ffreeloader

In a small company the network engineer works right along with everyone else. The company owner gets in and packs computers around right with everyone else. I just didn't realize that they did a lot of rollouts. Seems like right now they are rolling out an 800 workstation network. That means days of unpacking computers, lugging them around, etc... and they have another job coming up that would require packing computers up flights of stairs. That is stuff I just can't do anymore, at least not until I have some income and can get prescriptions to keep the inflamation in my back under control.

The owner said it's not necessarily a deal breaker, and that he thought I have really strong skills, but the feeling I had when I left his office was that I had been pretty thoroughly dismissed as far as he was concerned. He's a good guy and we have some common background so we hit it off personally, but he really needs someone who can do more physical work than I'm capable of doing right now.

It really would be an outstanding job for me. I'd get exposure to a huge variety of technologies, and I really like the owner personally. He's really a straight shooter. He'll tell you what he thinks. He's a lot like me in that he's direct, honest, and blunt to fault, and that's the way I prefer to be dealt with. So, I believed him when he said that my back problems aren't necessarily a deal killer, but I think the risk he'd have to take in hiring me that I never would be able to do the physical work will be the deciding factor. It would be that way for me and he really does think alot like I do.

20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sorry to hear that, Freddy. I work for a small company and although my title is "Technical Editor", I can be asked to do just about anything including answer support and front desk phones, box and move equipment, anything necessary to pitch in and be part of the team.

It's important to remember that even if you aren't selected (and after all...as someone said, the Fat Lady hasn't sung yet), you were seriously considered and in fact, had all of the necessary skill sets to do the "Network engineer" job well.

Hang in there, bud. Your day will come. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+