another dissatisfied computeach user...

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by shambles, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No probs mate, I had to move house when I was studying for the A+, I managed it in 3 months all in (passing the A+ that is!). The point I’m making is there will always be something that is going on in your life that will eat into your study time, there is no way to avoid it so we all have to motivate ourselves to study sometimes.

Some of the service provided by Computeach doesn’t sound too great from what you have said. I would expect feedback from a test to show where I was going wrong as well.

I tend to agree with Bluerinse in regard to the legal side of things. Chances are you may get an out of court settlement, either a partial refund for the training you haven’t received or you might get an extra years ‘training’ for free as a good will gesture. If things ended up in court I think with the resources Computeach have it would be tough for you.

Either way I hope everything works out for the best! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yup, good one.
    Still tricky, a contract for shoes and socks is as good as a contract for just socks though.
    What if the CT shoeshop had supplied you with the socks and placed an order with the shoe factory for your shoes?
    You cancel your shoes, who loses out?
    What if CT can't cancel the order with the shoe factory?
    Remeber, the shoe factory doesn't want to lose business either, so they might have 'no refunds'.

I used to work in retail, and it makes you realise how complex the buyer/seller relationship is.
    I've seen posts on this forum where people say 'I paid £x,000 and all I got was a book and two disks - they aren't worth £x,000.'
    Sure, they're not.
    But go back to the shoes. You aren't paying for £60 worth of leather and plastic. You're paying the wages of the guy who stitched them, the air freight from wherever, the lorry, the rent on the distribution depot, the girl behind the till, the shop, the electricity bill, council tax etc etc.

Is it CT who have that dodgy TV ad?
    How much did that cost, and who do you think paid for it?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Now thats confusing!

4. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Shambles,did you not seek tutor support after your failed attempts on the A+ mocks??

I know from my own experience that you recieve no feed back from failed mock attempts,but you have tutor support on the end of the phone line,e-mails,and the recently implemented chatroom's with tutor support all week.
    With the failed mocks you can email the tutors with upto 5 questions a day,giving your answer and an explanation of why thats correct.

You have after all paid money for that support,i fail to see why they would not have provided you with that?

Best of luck

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  5. shambles

shambles Guest

@JonnyMX - Yes, what you are saying makes complete sense, except that in this case, the shoes are not any sort of special order. If they were specially-designed and sized rocket-shoes which could only fit me, I'd think you were right on the money. But they're not - they are just ordinary bog-standard shoes, that the CT shop already has in stock. They don't have to order them specially from the shoe factory, they just have to get them off the shelf and deliver. If I don't have them, they just stay on the shelf for the next poor sucker who walks into the shop.

You know, if I'd even had the chance to try the shoes, I'd feel that maybe they have a point. No-one else would want to buy second-hand shoes, and the CT shop would have lost out on delivery. And if the socks were a special match for the shoes and could only be sold with that particular pair of shoes and no others, then I might concede that this is a complete deal, socks and shoes as a set. But these are bog-standard socks and bog-standard shoes. I haven't got on with the socks and it's taken me a while to find that out - that's my loss, I guess. But I haven't even seen the blimmin' shoes, and they haven't been taken off the shelf at this point!

@TylerD - I did seek tutor support. Not very often, because I didn't find it that useful. I was told by one of them that they don't have the test paper answers I have given in front of them, so the only way to establish where I have gone wrong, is to look at some questions and go through the possible answers. For a while, I tried targetting the questions I thought might, possibly be wrong. But because my overall score is (say) 82%, the odds of hitting one of the wrong ones turn out to be very small. More often than not, the questions I thought might, maybe, be suspect, actually turned out to be alright. So that was a bit of a downer.

But I found out a little later that there is another way. Now, when my score is (say) 82%, that means I have got 41 questions correct out of 50, or to put it the other way round, 9 of them are wrong. Those 9 will be spread throughout the paper - literally any single question might be wrong (remember, from my point-of-view, they all look right. I have absolutely no way of telling which ones are right and which ones are wrong). It's possible to narrow it down a bit, though. If Section 1 has 10 questions in it, and the feedback says 2 of those are wrong, then just looking at all the questions in that section and finding those two errors will bump my score up to 86%. Then I only have to find another 2 in another section to pass... That's 20 questions! We used to play a game like that when I was a kid... Trouble is, that didn't work especially well, either. The tutors won't definitively confirm a wrong answer. They might say: 'Are you sure?' and maybe go through that question to check the possible answers. They certainly don't give the right answer. So I'd change that one, and sometimes it would come good, sometimes not. And because I'm an IDIOT, I wasn't (until I got really frustrated) keeping a record of my previous answers. So, I might gain an answer or two here, only to lose somewhere else, because I'd changed something else... (Some of the questions are a bit unclear).

But I wasn't too worried. I thought I had all the time in the world. I thought that was why I'd paid £5000 for something I might have done through college for a quarter of that amount. So I just kept plodding on...

So that's probably my fault. If I'd known the clock was ticking, I'd have been on to them all the time to get through...

6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

5 Questions a day? That isn't really fair, what happens when they are follow up questions from your 1st question on the list? ...simply because you did not understand your tutors explanation on how TCP/IP protocols work...

7. shambles

shambles Guest

I was just filling in my court claim form, and it suddenly struck me. I can't claim against them right now, because they haven't actually prevented me from doing the course yet. Yes, I'm unhappy, Yes, I'm being ignored by them, but apart from getting a letter from them telling me that I'll have to start paying 5% penalties from June, they haven't actually done anything I might be able to complain about legally. So I have to wait... I think. Next stop Citizen's Advice... (Just to make sure).

8. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

you could always contact the citizens advice bureau or trading standards as it might fall under the Supply of Goods & Services Act - info on this is at www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/saleandsupply.htm

rather than paying the 5%, you could do the exam on your own - not ideal but the exam would be about £100.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design
  9. shambles

shambles Guest

Good link, damo101... Interesting reading there, for sure... There are some interesting things in the stuff relating to unfair contracts, as well... Thanks for pointing this out...

10. shambles

shambles Guest

Dear Computeach,

You have ignored every letter I have sent to you regarding my course. I hope you will find the following link interesting. I am expecting to be fully live in mid-July. If you would like to contribute to my new site, you are welcome to do so.

yours sincerely,

If anyone feels they would like to contribute, they are welcome. I am looking for a copy of the most recent contract and any pricing information anyone might have. All contributions will be treated as confidential. Whistle-blowers are especially welcome...

If this post in any way contravenes the forum rules, I'd like to apologise in advance. But please bear in mind that I am extremely annoyed...

11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Shambles,

I appreciate that you are annoyed, but until myself and the other staff have had the chance to discuss it I've removed the link to the site.

In the mean time if people do want to contribute I'm sure shambles will respond to requests by PM.

8)

12. shambles

shambles Guest

fair enough...

13. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

LOL. I wondered how long it would take a mod to get around to deleting that link....

Shambles,

I'm curious why you would attempt to use this forum as your platform to fight with Computeach. From what I've read of their tactics they are pretty ethically challenged, but why do you want to get Certforums in legal trouble by involving them in your fight? I mean, I have no use for any of the "training providers" as they all seem to use the same kinds of tactics, but you're out of line with your promotion of a site devoted to fighting with computeach.

This is a great place, don't attempt to make it your private hobbyhorse and ruin it for everyone else by getting it shut down through your own personal legal battles.... :x

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

What Freddy said, 100% !! :respct

And once again, I feel this thread has progressed long enough, with enough people still not taking notice of our Rules & Guidelines or heeding previous warnings throughout the thread that once again we have no option but to take the undesired but inevitable action of locking this thread pending further Staff discussion.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity