Another actionpack, technet or nothing question.

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by gabi_cavaller, Dec 25, 2008.

1. gabi_cavaller

gabi_cavaller New Member

Hi,

I am new to this forum, looks great with so much information, it's a shame I have not come across this before. I saw this through searching information on trainSignal.

My query is the following,

We have a business, with three sites, we are looking to streamline everything. The business is an insurance broker, I am employed by them, provide them support as well as other third party companies we have.

The software is going to be used internally, for ourselves and not on a production environment, however, one of our servers will host some brochure websites and another server will host an extranet which will be sharepoint.

Anyhow, my question is, what would be better suited to meet our requirements, actionpack or technet ?

We will have a minimum of 2 servers per site which will have the following roles

AD/WINS/DHCP/DNS (OS Server 2003 R2 - hopefully)

As this will be used internally, will I be able to use the Action Pack or Technet to meet our needs or will I have to purchase full retail copies?

Hope this makes sense, if you have any questions, please let me know.

Many thanks for answering and happy Christmas!!!!

Regards,

Gabi.

2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

The business will need to purchase proper licensed copies of all software it intends to use, simple as that.

The Action Pack is for Microsoft Partners only and technet provides evaluation licenses for IT professionals.

In both cases they are not licenses for you, as a technician, to pass on to customers or for non-IT businesses to use.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. gabi_cavaller

gabi_cavaller New Member

Hi,

Thanks for replying, specially at Christmas.

The company expanded dramatically, and it's a bit of an IT mess which I am trying to sort out. (budget.......)

One office has a worgroup, the other has one domain with 2000, the other has another domain, slightly different spelling, with 2003 standard R2. DHCP done via the firewalls too with un-conventional ranges and one department uses exchange, messy too.

What a nightmare.

Might be looking at purchasing new servers.

We only use the PC's for authentication of users, that's it, all applications and so on including emails are done via an online version of Citrix (bar one department.)

Full retail copies then, i think.