anothe newbie looking 4 help :)

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by cosmique, May 31, 2006.

1. cosmique

cosmique Bit Poster

good afternoon dear CF crew :)

my name's Tom, came to london from Poland 9 months ago. I have decided to stay here longer. looking for information on london's MSCE courses i have been lucky to find your page which I have already found very helpful for what i am very grateful. i may be asking stupid questions, but its only because I am a bit confused.

i am thinking of getting some kind of IT cert to allow me one day to get some decent money and start doing something i really enjoy. i always didnt find problems fixing computer problems, upgrading them, setting up networks, but i haven't got any certs to prove it to potential employers.
    i was thinking about getting a CDL and starting MSCE course in London College - not too expensive - 2,000 pounds, with books, exams, hands-on etc. i think self study is out of the question because i tend to be lazy ;) ..then again someone this weekend told me "all colleges on Oxford Street are crap, mate" hm... what to do? :)

my questions to you dear experts are

1. do you think jumping into MCSE is too hard? actually i dont know how hard it is.
    2. should i start with A+?
    3. does having MSCE cert make A+ obsolete?
    4. which london MSCE college you consider to be the best?

thanks for any help!

Tom

Certifications: none
    WIP: a+, n+, mcsa hopefully!
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi Tom and welcome to THE forum 8)

I would recommend that you start with Comp Tia's A+ and then move onto to do the Net+ (Network essentials). These two exams will give you a solid foundation to build the rest of your knowledge on and they count together as an elective for MCSA. MCSE or MCSA does not make the A+ obsolete. The A+ focuses primarily on the computer hardware, whereas I never removed the computer case cover throughout my whole MCSE learning experience.

Jumping straight into MCSE is a bad idea. Much theoretical knowledge is assumed and you will struggle to understand many of the concepts.

Have you considered going for MCSA? It is easier to obtain as it only requires 4 exams (4 MCPs or 3 MCPs and the A+N+). It is aimed at system administrators rather than system designers like the MCSE, which is 7 MCPs.

I found the MCSE to be a long tough slog, it took me 3 years of full on study.

I can't help with the best London training provider as I no longer live in The Smoke :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome!

I wouldn't say that all Oxford St training places are crap. I dealt with Eden House on Oxford St for my ECDL and they were friendly and straightforward.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Start with the A+, no point in committing to the MCSE just yet and as Bluerinse says it’ll give you a good foundation of knowledge before considering the MCSE.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Welcome To CF 8)

8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

hi mate - Welcome to CF...

9. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

welcome to CF, yeah as mentioned before start with ComTIA A+ and go on to doing MCSA...MCSE right now would probably be too soon

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The following should give you some indication wether or not you feel you are ready to start working towards an MSCE cosmique. It's taken from MS's website and is their audience profile for the MSCE 2003.

Unless you have some experience of what's listed above then you would very likely be getting in above your depth by starting an MCSE course.

Just please please take what the people selling these course's say with a pinch of salt. Some may give good advice, and some just want your money and will tell you anything to get you to sign on the dotted line.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  12. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.. 8)

Certifications: A+ Network+
  13. cosmique

cosmique Bit Poster

thanks for warm welcome and help mates!!

you made me reconsider the matter and after a word with one of my workmates who's got a Comptia A+ certificate i think i'll decide on MCSA instead. knowing my skills she's told me A+ could be too easy for me :oops:

i think i'll just buy a A+ book/DVD on eBay and self-study on whatever i might now know

MCSA at London College costs £1,800 with everything, i think i'll be applying for it in the next 1-3 months.

i'll keep you posted ;)

Tom

Certifications: none
    WIP: a+, n+, mcsa hopefully!