Annoying router issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by delorean, Jul 12, 2008.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Hey gang, this one is doing my head in!

I have an Airlink101 AR504 internet router here. What I want to use it for (after I factory reset it) is to connect it from port 1 (no connection on WAN or any other port) and just log in directly to it (so I can start setting up fixed ip's, subnets etc etc on the server).

It appears I can not do this. So then I tried connecting from our office modem to the WAN then from port 1 to the server I am building. Purely to see if I can get some form of access to the router. No joy.

The reason for all of this is I am configuring NIC's etc etc on the server I am building for a client and don't want to use our office settings so as to confuse it up with our domain etc etc etc during SBS2003 set up.

Have I missed something here or have I made a drastic ID10T error or is it just a router issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

edit: More info I forgot to add. I can get a 'limited connectivity' notice from the LAN connection and upon running ipconfig it gives me no IP but an auto config address starting with 169.254... and a subnet mask but no default gateway. I assume this is throwing me a private IP address? I wonder why though when I am even doing this with a direct connection from a port on the modem to a port on the router?

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

The manual for it is here :

http://www.airlink101.com/download/download_links/ar504_manual.pdf

If I've read it correctly it should default to 192.168.1.1 and via the web interface it says login with password of admin - can you get the web login up or not ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Nope, no web login at all. Just the above info about what looks like a private ip address.

I'm in two minds as to whether I have made a schoolboy error and overlooked something or if this router is screwed up!

Forgive my ignorance, but surely if a router is set to factory default and you connect directly to it and nothing else, you can still log in right because it will still push out the default factory IP until you configure it otherwise correct? If not, how the heck can I log in to just the router when it is connected to nothing else?

edit: I can also ping the 169 ip address so it appears to be communicating ok with the router...

4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

The default appears to be DHCP - you have checked the machine you're trying to access it on to make sure it's picking up an address ?

5. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I've given up trying to get it to work on the server build. What I have done now is connect from the LAN port on my laptop directly to the router number 1 port (not the router WAN port) and am still getting the same thing. Have also tried it with plugging from number 1 port on office modem to the WAN port on router and 1 port on router to LAN port on my laptop.

Still no joy!

:(

6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

If your laptop is not configured for the same network you won't connect to it.

Start/Run cmd then use IPCONFIG to check the laptop. If it comes back with a 192.168.1.x address then try PINGing 192.168.1.1 to see if it hits the router. Also worth checking the lead you're using (I've been caught out like that before !)

7. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Aha! Think I just had a lightbulb moment!

So you mean what I need to do to log in directly to a router with no modem connected to it is to put in a fixed ip of (for example):

IP: 192.168.1.2
    GATEWAY: 192.168.1.1

???

8. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

YES :biggrin (Don't worry, we've all been there !).

Alternatively, if you check with IPCONFIG, if the laptop is picking up an address from the router it should be ready configured.

9. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Hmm, that didn't work! :cry:

Even putting in a fixed ip and the actual gateway to the router does not make it work.

The laptop (am using both the wifi right now to access certforums and the LAN to config for the router) will not pick up the router ip or anything at all bar the private ip address thing.

Is it looking likely now that the router is screwy?

10. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

What do you get from typing IPCONFIG on the laptop ?

11. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

One of two things.

1. The fixed IP info I put in.
    2. If I remove fixed IP info, then I get a 169.254... address but no gateway or anything.

12. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Right, so without putting in a fixed IP it means that the router is not giving out an adddress to the laptop which could be due to :

1) router not reset to factory default (i.e. DHCP not working)

2) cable problem

3) faulty router and/or laptop connection

If you follow the link for the manual I gave at the start and just work your way through then you should be able to diagnose. Also, do swap that cable for another one (preferably tested and known to work).

(Sorry - off for dinner now !)

Hope you get it sorted !

13. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

You're going to love this.... I've just been informed by somebody "oh, you are using the faulty router. Chuck it in the trash!".

LOVELY!

Thank you though for your help, plus I learned some useful stuff too! Thanks a million!!!!! :biggrin:oops:

14. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

delorean,

According to PDF page 5 of 45 of the User Manual, it states "Step 1 Connect one end of a network cable to the WAN port of the router and connect the other end of the cable to the DSL/Cable modem."

Source:
    1. AirLink 101 User's Manual Model #AR504 - http://www.airlink101.com/download/download_links/ar504_manual.pdf

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  15. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Glad to have *helped* :biggrin

16. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

[delete]

Andi

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots