And so the journey begins...

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by GiddyG, Dec 27, 2009.

1. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Nice one mate! Onwards and upwards. Sounds like you're really enjoying it.

I'm doing loads of exercises on subnetting, having completed chapter 12 of the Odom book. It's going well this far, and I feel that I am really getting the hang of subnetting; however, I am nowhere near the 10-15 seconds recommended by Odom. Think more along the lines of 30 seconds plus... :rolleyes:

Anyways, after I've done the exercises I'm going to move onto chapter 13 - Operating Cisco Routers whilst continuing to work away at getting my subnetting times down.

Considering CCENT is entry level, it's quite frightening what you need to know. Lord knows how people with no experience can come along and understand OSI, LAns, subnets and so on... they must just have a natural talent.

Hey ho... going to get myself ready for the Cisco Lab Rat OSI webinar... can't wait...

2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Well done, you. I bet you enjoy it as well. I did. Material covered is very informative and interesting, isn't it?

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. GiddyG

#

Thanks Luke. Yes, it's very enjoyable and extremely interesting, if hard going. :)

4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

When I was going listening to the Jeremy (from CBT Nuggets) talk about the OSI Model, it was magical, when the light clicked on and I could say I know how that badboy works!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

But it's not entry-level, despite the misleading name.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. GiddyG

Get them to change the name then... 8)

7. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Now you know for a fact he'll say "I don't work for Cisco" :lol: . . . . . which of course he doesn't :)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. GiddyG

Well... onto chapter 17... must admit I keep thunmbing back to Chapter 12 as well as testing myself using a couple of the subnetting practice sites and Appendices off the Odom CD. The DVD in the Odom book is good too. I'll be re-reading the Odom book, playing with my simulator before going onto the Lammle book in due course.

One thing I have found is that the Practice test doesn;t seem to show the exhibits on ym Win7 machine... Michael, don't suppose you've heard of any issues with it and Win7 have you?

9. BosonMichael

I'm pretty cool, but I have absolutely no influence over Cisco. 8)

Their name is accurate in that the CCENT is a certification that people should consider when entering into Cisco administration. However, people mistakenly think that because Cisco slapped the term "entry" on the name that it is a cert for people entering into IT.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. BosonMichael

Have you updated the Boson Exam Engine to the latest version? If so, I'll ping the programmers.

11. GiddyG

Don't worry... he'll be along soon... :D

EDIT: Darn... he beat me! :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  12. GiddyG

I did the update yep... it's weird. I can see the questions and answers, but I just can't see the exhibit. I run it and take a screen capture. Cheers.

13. BosonMichael

Shoot me an e-mail with that screen cap. Include the version number, if you would. You probably know the e-mail addy. :)

14. BosonMichael

Hey... seems that this isn't unique to Windows 7. Occasionally, the exhibits will get messed up in the download. Try this: go to C:\ProgramData\Boson. I think there's a Full and Demo folder there. Inside, you'll see folders for each exam. Find the exam that's messed up and delete it. Then go into the Boson engine and redownload the content for that exam. Should work just fine - our engine works on Win7.

15. GiddyG

Thanks Michael. I'll give it a go. Cheers. :D

16. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

yeh i had this same issue redownload sorted it

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  17. GiddyG

Thanks Daniel. I haven't had chance to give it another go yet, but will try again tonight.

Cheers

John

18. JK2447

Are you still enjoying your Cisco studies mate? Mine have been swerved due to work but I hope to hit the books next Wed. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  19. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

yeh it's awesome, enjoyed the ICND 1 but ICND 2 is waaaay more fun :) Only got back to the ICND 2 material in the last couple of weeks, hopefully be ready for the exam by Feb. Some projects coming up for work which will help also so allll good. Heading offshore next month to install a couple blades into the core switches aswell!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  20. JK2447

Sounds ace mate! Oil rig? Always fancied a tour around one of them. Wonder if you could get some kinda extra money for doin that. Worth asking seeing as its off shore :biggrin