An Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'A+' started by BeerMatt, Mar 3, 2005.

1. BeerMatt

BeerMatt Bit Poster

:study This might sound silly but can Windows 2000 Professional Evaluation be upgraded to Windows XP Pro?

My guess is i dont know and it my best guess seeing as everywhere i look only talks about upgrading from just 2000 Pro not the evaluation.I would love to know either way and if it cant, why not?

WIP: A+ Network+ MCSE
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I don't know for sure but I would say not. I think M$ would have put some kind of check in the install routine to stop you getting XP on the cheap. I think it would come up with an error message saying that it's not possible to upgrade this version of windows.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It would be kind of nice and save you some money which is why I agree with Nugget in saying I don't think MS would have allowed that loophole.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Sorry guys but I don't get it if you can upgrde to XP Pro you must have a up grade disk or a copy of XP Pro. So what is it upgadee or full copy of OS. Either way try it let us all know how you get on and good luck. :thumbleft

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  5. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Law, I assume that he has an upgrade copy of XP pro. M$ offer this as an alternative to buying the full version of the software which is more expensive. However, you must have a liscened copy of Win2K already on the machine that you are upgrading (I *think* that the upgrade is also available for NT, but not for 98 or earlier) If he had the full version, he wouldn't have to worry about the evaluation version of 2K, he could just format the drive and do a clean install.

@ at beermatt, I'm with the other two, I can only assume that this would not work, for the above reasons. I know when upgrading from 98 to Win2K pro, it checks that 98 exist and is properly liscensed before it will begin the installation. XP will probably discover that 2K is only an evaluation copy and abort installation.

However, I could be wrong.

HTH

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  6. BeerMatt

BeerMatt Bit Poster

Thanks nugget thats what i thought.
    Its not that im trying to do it, its a Question i have on a mock paper.

It was asking about upgrading to Windows XP Pro and if any of the following could be upgraded.
    A: Windows 2000 Pro (evaluation)
    B: Windows 98 SE
    C: Windows 3.x
    D: Windows NT Workstation 4.0

Im sure C cant be. A and D are correct and A is a trick question as 2000 pro can but i dont know much about the evaluation part only that it seems to be a full copy used as a training tool i think, but it has a timed use so what happens after the evaluation period?

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

8. BeerMatt

BeerMatt Bit Poster

Thanks trip with a bit of help from you guys im larning new things all over the place from technical to just using my head a little

9. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Sorry everyone especially you beermat :oops: I was a little tired. I thought it was a question of upgrading so I thought the best way was to try it what was there to loose if all backups were taken before trying.
    @ u Beermat I would go with 98 SE as 3.x is very old and NT 4.0 has got to be 4.51 or higher and the evaluation copy well I think I have said enough there :oops:

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

No worries, law. :)