An easy install...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hbroomhall, May 12, 2007.

1. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I've just been impressed at how things are truly becoming Plug'n'Play in some parts of networking these days.

I bought a 'starter pack' of a pair of HomePlug units. Found (as usual) that the manual was on the CDRom so thought "Sod it - just plug them in". One connected to my router, the other in another room with my laptop hanging off it.

So I powered up the lappy and it calmly started to update it's copy of AVG. Colour me impressed!

When I finaly got round to inserting the CD onto my main machine it tells me that the connection is 57Mbps.

It may cost somewhat more than WiFi, but doesn't use precious radio spectrum and is a *lot* faster!

*And* it co-exists with my X-10 system.

Harry. :biggrin

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Erm....Whats a HomePlug? :oops:

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

See here for equipment and here for info.

It's a way of networking your home via your electrical sockets. It seems like only 2 years ago PC Plus was doing a feature of how this would work.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Spot on. I have a Devolo starter kit.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+