An article for videogame freaks : How to make PC games run faster and smoother

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by kobem, Mar 14, 2011.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Quoted from here : "http://www.ehow.com/how_2245524_pc-games-run-faster-smoother.html

i suppose you had removed the content since it was too long. Furthermore, i both shared of its link and the material
    itself not in order to come across any problem.

If you ask me about hearing my own article about videogames, its not that hard for me cos i have been playing those
    since 2002. First year i met a desktop computer.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
    Certifications: CCNA
  2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Sorry but that'd take me 4 hours to read :mrgreen:

Surely it'd be quicker to go out to a shop, buy a decent graphics card and a couple extra gig of ram :p

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I had to view your post koben because I thought you were finally starting to contribute to the forums but not what I was expecting :(

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
    Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Seems a bit strange that they're recommending 60 fps when the film and television industry has got by on 24-30 fps for all these years.
    No doubt somebody will be able to explain to me why watching something that changes twice as fast as I can see it is somehow better.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. sidimmu

sidimmu Bit Poster

its to do with the refresh rate and hertz of monitors, which are normally around 60 fps, but with the new 120hz monitors they can go up to 120fps, all my games i make sure i have a stable 120 fps on my monitor which runs at 60 fps, as soon as my fps drops to around 70 or below i start noticing the difference in visuals tearing away or jumping further than they should be due to the lag.

of course more is technically better but got to remember our minds can only see up to a certain amount of frames per second, but with training and concentration you can see more.

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

no one can see past 60fps although maintaining 60fps is a good idea.

Well done Kobem for actually contributing although most of that article is self explanitory :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Well done to you as well GBL, for praise where praise is due. Rep, mate. :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Is it contributing if he is just copying/pasting someone else's potentially copyrighted material? I'd rather him just provide a link to the site.

Just my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. greenbrucelee

At least he is trying, I think.

11. sidimmu

sidimmu Bit Poster

you can man, but its not something you can just pick up or just see instantly.
    everyones eyes and mind react differently, everyones "cap" will be different is pretty much the short answer.

12. BosonMichael

Just because someone is trying doesn't mean they're doing what they should be doing (in this case, posting material for which someone else owns the intellecual property rights). For an analogous example, just because someone is trying to study doesn't automagically make it OK if they're using braindumps.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Oh yes, that he is...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  14. zet

zet Byte Poster

A game like counter-strike 1.6 would run horrible at 60fps, however I think most modern games run fine at 60fps..but u know us gamers always wanting more fps!

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I skipped straight to step 15.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  16. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

i was the same on cs 1.6 when i was younger :D

Voodoo 5000 gfx card ftw - i still have it somewhere, it's about 15 years old but still plodding along in oneof my desktops at home :mrgreen:

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  17. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I didn't see the original post but why not? It's what everybody else does. Check out the news section.

Maybe he forgot to put the referring link in and maybe too much text but we all have to learn somehow.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  18. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

OK, do not fight because of me. Also, link stays on top of the post since first opening.

Certifications: CCNA
  19. greenbrucelee

Some older games will not work correctly with newer hardware. Being a fan of the hitman games I tried to run Hitman 1 a few months back and it was terrible even in compatability mode. I was thinking of getting dues ex to brush up on the game before the new one is released but I don't think I will bother now.

20. BosonMichael

You'll have to ask Si - that's his call. But it's considered bad netiquette (not counting the potential legal issues) to copy enough information so that the link is unnecessary. It's their content (actually, in the case of ehow, I'd guess it's NOT their content, but that's a matter for a separate discussion...), and their site should get the benefit of having the information. Now, if you get permission to repost from the owner of the content, go right ahead! :)