American Politics is getting stranger all the time

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Aug 29, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

As you know, once upon a time, the (American) Democratic party had two people who both wanted to be nominated for President: Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. They both worked very hard to convince the Dems that they were the right person for the job. Ultimately, Obama was successful, but that didn't make all of the Dems happy.

Mainly feminists were pretty darn unhappy that a woman (Hillary, that is) wouldn't be the Dem's candidate for Pres. It seemed that Hillary herself wasn't particularly happy about it either but, for the good of the party, she stepped in and supported Obama's candidacy (some suggested that Hillary should have been Obama's VP, but I figure the two of them had too much "competitive history" between them to let that work). Obama selected Biden (a guy) for his VP and so it seemed that having a woman running for one of the two top spots in American politics wasn't going to happen this election.

Wait! Stop the presses! McCain, the Republican candidate for Pres has just selected a female running mate. Most feminists don't consider the Republican party to be particularly "pro-female", so either McCain is being pretty darn cagey, trying to sweep up voting feminists who aren't going to buy into Obama, or he's being pretty darn naive, figuring that choosing a little-known political neophyte is really going to sway people to him that otherwise would vote for Obama.

What do you think about this?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

:thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Is that supposed to be a response to McCain's selection, this thread, or both?

4. BosonMichael

I think McCain made a good, strategic choice. Sure, she may be unknown, but the things that are known should generally please conservative voters. And although I don't think you should ***ever*** vote for anyone based on race or gender, some people will, and this move is liable to snag the vote of those women who will vote for a woman regardless of the real issues that matter.

In any case, I don't think his selection will hurt his chances any.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I dunno. I can just see some of the "good ol' boys" in the deep south saying that they wouldn't want to chance a woman becoming President in the event McCain kicks the bucket (he's no spring chicken, you know). :wink:

6. BosonMichael

Eh, living down here, I know me a bunch of "good ol' boys"... and I've not heard a bit of rumbling about that. Once upon a time, there was even talk about Condi Rice getting the nomination, and I have yet to hear a single, "Yeah, but she's black" or "Yeah, but she's a woman". I know sexism and racism still exist... but perhaps that time has largely passed.

I'll keep my ears open, now that the announcement has been made... and I'll let you guys know if I hear any redneckish "We can't have a woman president" complaints.

7. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

delete

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I think racism and sexism are still present in the world and particularly in the US. It may have gone somewhat underground (lynchings are a thing of the past) but if the Jena 6 case is any indication, tensions are still there in abundance, which means the attitudes behind them continue to exist.

9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Like all political parties (from any country) it's all about marketing and popularity. I couldn't care if the person in power was male/female, black/white (or in-between), straight/gay/bi, etc, etc, etc... As long as that person can do the job.

Too much emphasis is placed on sex, gender, etc... and not on the real issues.

I agree!

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

Warning I know nothing about UK politics and even less about US politics

isnt Paris Hilton running for president, ( before i get flamed i know she isnt) have you guys not seen her campaign Video

she wants a hybrid of McAins and Obamas energy policys so whereby you support offsore drilling and the money gained form that is invested into building the infrastructure for enviromentally frendly transport (electric cars and Hydrogen fuel cells)

if she really did run for president i think she would get a few votes but she would actually have to use some of the intelegence she has that is well hidden behind the blonde dizzyness

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA + Messaging, MCSE + Security
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Wow!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/29/rollins.palin/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

12. BosonMichael

So hidden, it's permanently lost. :rolleyes: