AMD Phenom

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by supernova, Dec 2, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

56 degrees

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If an endorsement of a product isn't advice, I don't know what is. And that's exactly what you do when you say:

and

IMO, that's bad advice, because you don't get more power to the pound, or bang for the buck.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Okay fine .. i am not arguing anymore

But i know you can get a Phenom 9900 a lot cheaper than a Intel Q6600 (very close benchmarks) which is of roughly the same RRP therefore a fair comparison.

An endorsement isn't really same as advice, and it wasn't an endorsement either, in fact the first post was a overall question based on the facts found above whilst looking a price lists and benchmarks!

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

The problem is Andi that the potential power of the Q6600 blows the Phenom out of the water. It's already been commented upon that overclocking intel's baby can produce results of over 4Ghz on air cooling - and that just can't be touched by AMD.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Personally i would'nt buy one because of power consumption efficiency issues, I was just saying there not as bad as people make out.
    Expect there prices will fall if there not selling aswell, as your starting to see.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

There seems to be a lot of low end multiprocessor servers based around AMD. Here overclockings not really relevant. I assume they exist because Andi may be correct in that AMD might be competative at some spec/price point, eg their Opteron offerings are cheaper than the Intel Xeons ?

Though I'm not really upto speed on the current offerings, It does appear the dual and quad core desktop offerings from Intel are the current favourite and I've not heard anything good about Phenom's.