Am I wasting my time

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by greenbrucelee, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi GBL

I'm coming into this thread possibly a little late, but I want to add my two pennies (who can resist, eh?)

Firstly, can I say that you are a likeable, intelligent man. You obviously have the mettle and perseverance to get the job you want, and I truly wish you get there.

Now, enough of the ego-boosting, and back to the post in hand :)

Firstly, there is no reason why you shouldn't be applying for jobs in the area you already live in.

As you are already there, if you do land a job nearby, you will save on any costs relocating. You will probably also have a good idea of the transport network(s) available to you, and the kind of commute you can reasonably afford and/or cope with.

I'm not sure what you're using to find your jobs (and it's really good that you're getting your CV out there). If found the following site on Google after a little mooch, and didn't know if it would be beneficial to you?

The only advice I will give you, is keep doing what you're doing.

You obviously have a clear plan in mind. You are quite evidently determined. If you have wanted a career in IT for so long, then please, do not abandon your dreams when they're so close to becoming a reality. As you should well know after being on CF for a while, you shouldn't need certs to get your foot on the ladder, and your first break can come from the most unexpected of places.

Keep bandying your CV around. Keep your nose clean, and your foot to the floor with your studying. Come what may with the finances; money, again isn't the be all and end all. It helps, obviously, and MASSIVE kudos for you for almost being out of the woods. NoelG knows how good that feels, and Lord knows I'm counting down... 11 months till I'm out of debt meself!

But... well... it is possible. Just keep believing you can 'do it'. If you want a pep talk, PM me about how fun it was working in a yard 3 years ago, starting at 5:30am hulking around concrete slabs. I'll kick you up the ass, tell you to stop being a turd, and keep your eyes on the prize.

This is a good plan - a support role as your first step is, as you know, generally 'a given'.

Was just wondering, with the 'breaks' in IT around your area hard to come by, as you say, is the area smattered with smaller companies? If so, how do they operate their day-to-day IT stuff? Do they use contractors, or part-time in house? It may be worth seeing if local companies have any support at all, and if they don't, would they consider taking you on as a part time role. It may not be much at first, but it's bona-fide experience - and if you have 3/4 of these kinds of customers lined up, your name starts getting around (in a good way!)... you never know what can happen!

Meh, I realise I'm rambling now, so I'll stop :biggrin mainly wanted to say, keep the faith. You can get your job, I have no doubt. Nothing wrong with applying for jobs where you live now. All the best :hug

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

There are a lot small companies aroung where I live that either use contractors for their IT support or they have in house staff who are at least MCP level and companies only want MCP or higher, which does not make sense to me at least for some of them.

But the main jobs in my area are Farming and Manufacturing or shopwork, but I am gonna keep applying and trying untill it happens.

Thanks Arro :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Since we're throwing around suggestions...

Firstly, I agree with what Freddie and Mike have been saying here. In order for a plan to work it has to be detailed and measureable. Dont put a goal down like "I want a job in IT". get more specific (I know that thats usually specific for a break into the industry, but try to narrow it down some more - to be honest, your first goal is to get into IT, thats likely to be a servicedesk job). Give yourself tasks to achieve that. Before I got into IT, I checked 4-5 different jobsites every day. I registered with agencies every week, and developed a good relationship with a specific person in the ones most likely to get me a job in the industry (Always use a specific individual and check in weekly). I checked both the weekly job papers, and applied for any jobs in any area I'd heard of. Hell, even if it looked a bit above me I applied. If they want a driving license and you dont have one? still apply. The worst they can do is ignore your CV.

You want to be building your IT experience as much as possible, even if you arent getting paid for it. So why not volunteer? There must be charities around the area that have computers, offer to support them. Both by fixing the pcs, and offering support on it. the CAB themselves tend to have networks (albeit ancient), and they are run almost entirely by volunteers - so get yourself into the CAB and see if they could make use of an IT bod to help support their staff.

Even if you are only volunteering your saturday afternoons in this regard, it still counts as commercial experience (in a way). You can certainly make use of it on your CV.

Also, perhaps you need to be looking at your CV and fine-tuning it. If you arent getting interviews, its likely to be that. If you want, post it here (minus sensitive information like your address) and we'll check it out. If you are getting interviews, but arent getting hired, try to find out why. When you are rejected, ask for feedback - and ask them to be brutally honest. Listen to what they are telling you, and see what you can do about it.

As for jobs, how about:

http://www.reed.co.uk/job/Details.a...2147483648&sb=8&ns=True&da=154&ss=False&ps=20
    For a start.

You have to be disciplined in this. Check the sites EVERY day, at least once. If you can do it more, do so. Hell, I was checking every hour on some days. The job I'm in now asked for a drivers license, I had none. I applied for the job thursday, and the interview friday lunchtime, got an offer in the interview, accepted it on the monday. It can be done.

I'll give you a tip about how I prepare for interviews too. Whilst I approach it as a form of magic, it can easily be seen as praying, or just bigging yourself up for it (Its just as effective, no matter what standpoint you take). Try to do this throughout the day before the interview, but especially whilst you are sitting waiting to be seen. See yourself standing in a place that is comforting to you (Usually somewhere in nature). Imagine a column of white light descending from the heavens to completely encase you. Feel the brilliant white light (energy) flowing from above, through your body, and down into the ground. As the light flows through you, see all the negativity, tension and 'darkness' in your body breaking free and flowing into the ground along with the light. Once you have done this for a while, focus on the energy filling your body (I tend to stop seeing the energy flowing past me, so that it strikes the top of my head, but doesnt leave my body). See this light filling your body from your feet up to the top of your head (like a glass statue being filled with water), but do it slowly, focus on each part of your body being filled. Once your entire body is filled with this light, see it flowing out from your body to fill your aura (I see this as a glass ball around me, exactly my height). As the light enters your body, more is pushed out to fill the aura until both you and your aura are entirely filled with this brilliant white light.

You can use this as a technique before interviews to increase your mood, make you feel more confident and relaxed (A big plus for in an interview). To me its a form of magic, so I think it helps me stand out and be noticed (but again this could just be confidence if you prefer) - but doesnt interfere with the persons own decisions (it makes them notice me, but doesnt influence their opinions on me, etc, just makes me stand out - im harping on about that, but its important for this to be the case (at least for me)). You can also use it outwith interview times. Just throughout your day, when you get up, whenever you are feeling down, etc. Try it, im sure you will notice the difference.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. greenbrucelee

Thanks for interview prep tip, I will try that :D

Also with job hunting tips cheers mate

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you want some extra cash, actively seek more of those out.

Many tech jobs allow you to do ALL of that. That said, don't worry about what you "prefer doing"... take ANY IT job you can find. Build experience, and use it as a stepping stone to THEN do something you "prefer doing".

One bite at a time. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Fergal1982

Mike, are you hungry???

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  7. greenbrucelee

I will take any job I can get 8)

8. BosonMichael

You think? :twisted:

[​IMG]

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. Fergal1982

10. BosonMichael

Actually, that's what mine looked like with my mouth closed (or maybe a tad smaller)... when I had them. Ex-girlfriend stole them, for what reason I cannot fathom... they were fitted to my teeth. :blink

It was fun freaking people out, walking past restaurant windows and smiling. One guy eating dinner fell out of his seat... poor guy!

Unfortunately, it was difficult to eat with them in, and saying certain words was a challenge.

11. greenbrucelee

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement :D

12. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

GBL,

You've had a lot of response to your thread and you've been offered some excellent advice for your situation.

Freddie asked early on what you were willing to give up to succeed. Sometime your ability to succeed can be measured by your willingness to make sacrifices.

I also agree with Michael and Freddie, that your goals should be broken down into smaller steps. Think them through and keep them written down in order of priority. Whatever you use for goals, keep it realistic. If you're able to do more than your goal, so much the better.

Fergal's idea of volunteering your services in order to gain verifiable experience is perfect. That's a win/win for everyone. But I wouldn't let too many beams of light sneak out in front of a prospective employer. Fergal, that's scary. Might have to try it myself sometime.

Since you've done some work privately in the past, you've got another way to help finance your certification expenses. Have some business cards printed, whether you do it yourself or have it done. You can offer upgrades, system tune-ups, troubleshooting, whatever you're comfortable with. Keep your cards clean and professional looking. Then introduce yourself to more of your neighbors. And then their neighbors.

Charge a fair price for your time without cheating yourself. Then put all of the extra money that you make aside to use for your certification expenses. Who knows, drum up enough business, you might even find you like working privately.

13. greenbrucelee

Cheers Bill

14. Fergal1982

VistaPrint are offering 250 free business cards at the moment.

15. greenbrucelee

cheers fergal I went through the whole process and found out you have to buy something, I don't own a credit card/ debit card so I cant, but I may ask a relative to do it.

16. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Vista her in the US has that as an ongoing promotion. As long as you allow them to put their info on the back of the card, they will always give you "free" cards. You just have to pay the shipping.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  17. greenbrucelee

Here they wanted me to buy one of those thing you stamp your name with in order to qualify for the free cards and cheapest delivery, I will ask a relative to do it for me probably my mum when she gets paid at the end of next week.

18. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Well GBL,

It's starting to sound like you're making a game plan. So, what do you think now? Are you wasting your time? Somehow, I think you'll be just fine.